Missing cover from switch fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I got hold of a switch fuse when my brothers heating system was replaced, but unfortunately the electrician doing the work chucked the part that protects the area around the switch.

Anyone know where a spare can be obtained, or can one be made up with a bit of plastic?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Try ebay you'll get the switch for buttons !

Regards,

DS

As a matter of interest ... even if there's meant to be a protective cover, why on earth is the hole in the casing so much larger than what would be required for the switch, thereby exposing what are presumably live bits of brass? Is it perhaps a 'multi-purpose' casing?

Kind Regards, John

It's so you can only see the 'off' or 'on' as it slides up and down.

160CM.jpg

Sponsored Links
If the missing bit is plastic, as it appears on the TLC website, presumably it's to achieve the necessary clearance from the live parts to the enclosure.

It's so you can only see the 'off' or 'on' as it slides up and down.
Yes, but the same could be achieved with a hole in the case the same size as that in the 'insert' we're talking about - after all, that's how the good-old Wylex Standard CUs did it with essentially the same sort of switch arrangement, isn't it?

Unless, as I suggested, the case is 'multi-purpose', I see no reason why that 'insert' is needed - the same size hole could just as easily be in case itself (which would be cheaper - so I guess there must be some reason!).

Kind Regards, John

If the missing bit is plastic, as it appears on the TLC website, presumably it's to achieve the necessary clearance from the live parts to the enclosure.
Yes, I suppose that's a possibility - but, if that's necessary, the equivalent could presumably be incorporated into the switch, thereby making for a simpler/cheaper case?

Kind Regards, John

The equivalent what? The switch is probably a standard component used in a number of assemblies, not all of which use a metal enclosure.

The equivalent what? The switch is probably a standard component used in a number of assemblies, not all of which use a metal enclosure.
I was only asking out of interest :) As for your question, would not just a bit of suitably shaped plastic which could be slipped over the front of the switch achieve the desired separation of switch and casing?

Kind Regards, John

No, the clearance is a distance. Are you getting confused with creepage?
I don't really understand. The plastic component I was postulating would have thickness, thereby creating a distance. Anyway, my inquisitiveness is probably now satisfied, and I'll just accept that they decided it was best to do it as they did!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks all,

I can find 1 or 2 for £15, but the majority are £50+

I just don't want to chuck the whole thing away, seems so wasteful.

I'll have a go I think at cutting a piece of 2 or 3mm plastic and gluing it to the inside, copying what the original would have looked like.

Thanks

That is very generous of you! I have measured, and yes its the correct size.

Not sure if there is a way on this forum to send you a private message as I don't especially wish to publish my email address on the open forum.

I will be happy to pay you P+P for this :)

Cheers
Tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back