Mitre cutting scotia beading.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted this on another index, but perhaps this is more suited here...

I can't seem to find where to make the cut on scotia beading - the 45% mitre cut - so far this is for an 'interior' shape...I'm fine with skirting and can match the edges up fine...it's the odd shape (5/6 sides?) of this beading (like coving) which I can't get my head around.
There may be something really simple I'm missing here - someone please state the blinkin obvious to me!

And by the way - can you easily stick beading/skirting to brickwork with the usual beading glue/no nails?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
coving you have to treat it like an L shape and cut it with the L sitting squarely in the saw
if you lay it on the flat at the back youve got to cut it as a compound mitred angle
as in rotate and lean the blade at the same time

Any diagrams Big All?
When i've done coving I usually have the pre-mitred internal/external pieces with the staight ones.
Not so with this floor beading - I've tried a couple of angles i.e. with 90 degree straight blade and 45 degree mitred angles but the joins are not matching. Don't suppose there are 'mini' mitre boxes out there, though I guess a normal size bos would suffice (beading is around 15mm thick).

should I perhaps follow this diagram:

cutil.gif

cutir.gif

Just hold your bead in the box exactly as it lays on the floor,hold tight, use a fine tooth saw, take your time.

Sponsored Links
Trouble is, I don't have a mitre box - are they expensive? I only have a little cutting to do but want to get it spot on. I have a kids protractor - this any good (was thinking of drawing a 45 degree line from the bottom to the top...?

Actually, I've just found a local shop which sells a wide range of mitre boxes - you can get mini wooden ones for less than a fiver!
Well worth it - using a jig saw on the beading is a bit of a hash.
Would a hack saw be ok to cut with?

Cheers all.

Indeed - cheers big all.

I was surprised how much the mitre box instantly took all the pain and hassle away in the end! Corners perfectly match.
I need some new picture frames at the moment - using this I reckon I could do a half decent job (and save some cash too!).
Any tips/pointers/linkies for picture frame construction?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back