MK Century breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Urgent help needed,

I have tried every electrical retailer, wholesaler in the book and all are telling me the same. My 1983 fitted consumer unit breakers are no longer made :(

All i want is to download a 30A to a 6A for a new lighting radial for my new extension...

I am hoping my plea on here may be rewarded with one of you more, urm, (without offending) lets say more senior sparks may have one of these knocking about in your garage amoungst all the oteher bits we all tend to keep and say "that will come in handy one of these days" :)

I know its against forum rules to offer to buy, sell, offer for sexual favours and all that (already asked wife and she's up for it) but can you maybe have a dig around and see if any of you have one ? Pretty please. I don't want to mess changing the consumer unit...

cheers guys & galls

Mick, & Micks wife ;)

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys,

The ones on E-Bay would have been spot on BUT doesn't the lighting one have to be max 6amp ?

At least i now know how to spell it :)

Adam, Had already looked down the route of the adapter kit thing, i was just hoping to simply click another one in ..

Thanks so far though... Maybe i will mail the e bay guy and see if he has a 6 amp one..

NO offers for the wife then ? She will be VERY disappointed :D

Sponsored Links
Just keep an eye on Fleabay. MK Sentry were made by the million, there are lots of people selling materials they've taken out to replace with new. Look at http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=mk+sentry

I don't know what's different about the old ones, but I think I have a 15-year old MK catalogue if that helps.

BTW you can also put an FCU with a 5A cartidge onto your ring and take the lighting radial as the spur off that.

Also, try a recent pic of the wife, you may get some offers.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for that John,

If i post a picture of her, i will be stuck with her for bloody ever :D

PS

Am i correct in assuming it is either a 5 or 6 amp then ? 10 wont do ? too much... just seen one of those on e bay :(

6amp is better. I doubt you'll find a 5amp, though if you do it's OK.

10Amp actually can be used on lighting circuits, e.g. often in shops and ofices with lots of lighting. However it mustn't be used with small bulbholders like you often find in kitchen spots or chandeliers as they are only rated to 5A; and, in any case, you're better off with the MCB rated nearest to the actual load so that it will trip quickly in the event of a fault.

Edited to add:
Incidentally, I've now found my old MK catalogue (product range 1990/1992) and it appears the MCB you want is part no. 5906. This is the type 2 (like a type B). You don't want a type 3,4,C or D breaker as these are slow-trip.

Cheers John,

I have e mailed a few of the guys offering those MCB's on e bay to see if any have a 5 or 6...

Will see what happens.... BUT if any of you sparks ( once you get home from work and read this ) have one, I will gladly exchange it for a few beer vouchers :)

Mick

Hager MCB's fit the old sentry boards perfectly. All you need to do is remove the knockouts either side of the busbar screw at the bottom of the MCB. This has overcome the problem of these obsolete breakers for our firm for a while now.

Rob

this wife of yours, name of Bev...

how will I recognise her when she calls round?

He He i will post a picture for you tomorrow mate :)

I had to think for a min then how you knew her name, But i sussed it...

You clever lad

You a copper, cid, or just good :cool:

Cheers

Mick...

Mick Leek said:
...can you maybe have a dig around and see if any of you have one ?
I have two or three of these, unused. If you're interested I'll dig them out tonight and see if I have the right one for your needs.

Cheers softus,

I have started bidding on the one on e bay, but theres no arm having a spare one :)

Cheers

Mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back