mobile power pack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone joined this forum while back but first time posted i notice everyone posts about various power drills ect i would like to share with everyone what i did a few yrs ago i am a locksmith and was fed up with batteries going flat ect so i made up some power packs and they have been brill i had a combination cordless set ie drill /circular saw/jig saw/ect so i hard wired them put plug on them got 3x6v 12amp batteries wired up and been brill never went flat can use all day and still be ok i have a solar panel in my van which trickle charges them all,the more amps the better i got a 12v lamp from aldi hard wired that had a old starter booster that you use to start car up the switch was faulty so took out battery which is 12v 17amp and used that this lamp has been great for me when doing doors at night in badly lit houses hope photos work thanks

Sponsored Links
Surely simpler to stick a small generator in the van and run cheaper 240V tools from that?????

Saves invalidating the warranty on your tools too!

It makes sense for older stuff where the battery is shot. I have an old 12v drill that I was contemplating doing something similar with, mainly because I'm a tight arse and you can get a new drill for not much more than the price of replacement batteries.

Zico - do you use cig lighter plugs and sockets and do you have any fuses in the setup? Pic doesn't show btw - would like to see it if you can fix it.

I've toyed with something similiar and a friend of mine has rigged up a 12v drill to work off a car battery that he charges with a duel charging system in his van commonly found on caravans.

Sponsored Links
What about the balance of that drill now that there is no battery on the bottom?

Doesn't seem to bother him, he's got used to it now anyway , besides the drill isn't in constant use.

hi thanks guys ntb i only use the car lighter sockets for anything that has 12vplug ie compressor ect the main plugs on all stuff is a male and female type get them from wilkinsons £1.10 each and woody i know what you mean about balance but honestly after drilling out loads of locks when they cant be picked or bypassed any other way i have not noticed a thing and inky pete i would need miles of cable extension for the out of stick places i go but thanks

I'm just trying to think why on earth I'd want to have a cordless tool with a lead on it. :?: I use cordless stuff when ther is no power, or because I don't want a lead trailing round behind me. e.g. out on scaffolding, up at the far end of an attic, when moving quickly around a building (snagging), etc and corded when I have mains power (110 volt in my case) and/or I need the extra torque, e.g. drilling re-inforced concrete, sawing 9 x 3s, lots of mitre cuts, etc There isn't much crossover, is there?

hi jobandknock if you read what i do before saying anything i am locksmith and only use dewalt with lead on front or back doors when everthing else fails did i say anything else about an attic or scaffolding or building site the reason i use this when you have to drill lock mortice they have a hardplate and cylinders have hardened pins and it takes a bit of drilling in the past i had cordless drills makita/dewalt ect all good drills but i wanted a drill that last the batteries on them did not

Well for me, it would only be for screwdriving use in the workshop, I wouldn't lug it round. If I was made of money I would bin it and buy a new cordless, er well actually, I'm so tight I'd probably do it anyway. From what the OP says, it makes sense in his specific circumstance as a cheaper alternative to buying lots more power tool batteries. I don't think anyone thinks it would be useful to your typical tradesman.

i agree ntb i have a cordless makita which i use for screwdriving but these power packs suit me they might not suit everybody all i can say is that they have come to my rescue many times when power is not available anyway i cant bear to throw things out :LOL: my wife says i am a hoarder :LOL:

IIRC, there was a few years ago, a similar system with a big power pack and "cordless" tools plugged into it. Designed for portable use and long run times

I think that now high capacity lithium tools are available, then run times are much more useful - but obviously there is a cost for that, where as current tools can be adapted with this powerpack idea

hi woody you are right there was a system years back but i cant remember it well,you are also right about the latest lithium batteries as you say they are at a high cost rather than getting rid of my old stuff ie power tool combi set i thought i would try this at a cost of £45.00 for the batteries some £8.00 and some £10.00 even the lithium would be hard to beat 3x6v 12amp 18v dont you think. thanks

That's what being a tradesman is all about - make your own stuff which works for you

Im pretty sure i saw something once that was basically a dummy battery connected to a power pack via a lead, IIRC there were various dummy batteries in the kit or you specified which you wanted depending which make of tool you use, wasn't in any of the sheds, may have been screwfix or even ebay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back