mobile speed guns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how long does it take for fine to come through
is their some sort of tolerance or for eg do they do you for going 71 on motor way
one of them coppers on motor way was pointing gun at me but when i went past him doing around 71 but they can get you up to 1000 metres back i belive?
any ideas

Sponsored Links
most police will not bother for any thing less than 80 on a motorway. depends what mood hes in.
they do allow a small percentage factor so would imagine your ok for one mile an hour. if it was a hand held gun I believe they would have pulled you up .

Meant to be ten percent but if your speedo is out or you have wrong size tyres/wheels on this can soon be hit

her in-doors got zapped at 97 by welsh lot (m4), got the ticket within 2 weeks. Man on overhead bridge with handheld gun/camera.

Sponsored Links
just gets on my nerves a bit you see coppers with the foot down and if you over took them then they would have you no wonder lots of people have no respect for them
is the ten percent rule still in i thought they changed it a while back

:evil:

The guidence is still 10% + 3mph , it is however only guidence and if they are really hard nosed they could do you for 71mph if they really wanted!

The saving grace is that the speedo on your car in all likelyhood probably undereads by a few mph

So relax :cool:

I did 78mph ish indicated down the outside lane of a dual carriageway before I saw the mobile camera on a bridge once, never heard anything of it

No, the 10% rule is the margin allowed in law for differentials in speedometers, and still exists.

You have to receive a Notice of Intention to Prosecute within 28 days. This is sent to the Registered Keepers address. If the Reg Keeper hasn't received it by then you are safe.

In your case 77mph will apply but if yours is already 10% out and you were doing what you think was 71, then you could be caught for 78mph.

... and if they are really hard nosed they could do you for 71mph if they really wanted!
I don't think so.

The police do not waste their time on these margins as they are too easily contested ... The handheld guns, for example, are not that accurate nor are many enforcement van fixed units in many conditions (rain, conflicting traffic etc).

Anyway, get a Talex and speed with total impunity in a relaxed environment :LOL:

MW

bikers used to get away with it , when they cottoned on that they hadnt been tested for "slip" on bikes.

one of the biking mags recorded a bike doing over 80 mph with it sat there on the sidestand :eek:

they might have closed this loophole though.

i got caught by hidden van, got the ticket less than a week.

****ers! :LOL:

Some of you are getting some of these figures confused!

Your car must have a speedo correct within 10%.

You CAN be done for going at 71 in a 70 zone.

Speed camera setting advice is, or at least was, 10% + 2 mph

A policeman can do you at any speed above the limit. A half Chinese student in North Wales was done at 31 mph after being stopped about 20 times in his car without anything being found wrong. They were just out to get him for something, his father thinks for being half Chinese!

One hopes that most police would not bother with anyone at less than 10% over th limit but never assume anything!

Tony

Your car must have a speedo correct within 10%.

Not quite true, manufacturers calibrate speedometers at up to 10% above the true speed, never below.

You can not blame your speedometer, if you are caught speeding.
Anyone with Sat/Nav will see their true speed displayed, which will always be higher than your speedometer.

Correct Trazor.

Agile wrote:
You CAN be done for going at 71 in a 70 zone.
Legally ... Yes, practically ... Not a chance.

Any legal monkey with half a brain would be able to discredit all of the current means of detection on the basis that they are not that accurate.

That is why the police would not attempt prosecutions for such offences.

A half Chinese student in North Wales was done at 31 mph after being stopped about 20 times in his car without anything being found wrong
Can you post a link to the details please.

MW

A friend of mine was done for doing 74mph, amazing that the police bothered since there are so many people that do 90+ and cause a real danger to others.

Sponsored Links
Back