More evidence the law is an ass

Anyone who thinks the guard didn't f*ck up ask yourself one question.
Would he have blown that whistle if the drunken girl by the train had been his daughter?
Not in a million years.

Of course he would. The victim was clear of the train in his mind when he blew the whistle. Same goes for his daughter.

Norco, you're even more of an idiot than I gave you credit for.

Sponsored Links
Anyone who thinks the guard didn't f*ck up ask yourself one question.
Would he have blown that whistle if the drunken girl by the train had been his daughter?
Not in a million years.

Of course he would. The victim was clear of the train in his mind when he blew the whistle. Same goes for his daughter.

Norco, you're even more of an idiot than I gave you credit for.

You're the idiot. Condemning a man to jail because circumstances on that fateful night were beyond his control.
He made a mistake no doubt. But 5 years. What a total injustice.

What I don't get is the five years.

If you cause death by dangerous driving and it's not a particularly aggravated offence you can be looking at a starting point of three years. A speeding cyclist killed a pedestrian on the bleeding pavement a few years back and he got seven months. This guy made a mistake which lasted a few seconds after years of good service and he gets five years in jail.

So why when you kill somebody by dangerous driving/cycling is it treated a lot less seriously than killing somebody by complete accident?

"Accidents" dont happen!! They are caused!!

Sponsored Links
Ever been on the London underground in rush hour.????

Sorry LMB, YOU SAY YOU DIDN'T GET MY POINT!!

I got news for you "I DONT GET YOUR POINT" WTF has rush hour on the tube got to do with the death of this young girl??

Pretty damn sure that my daughter, who used to have her blonde moments, if pished, wouldn't lean on a potential moving object when there is a wall 6' behind her that may appear to move but actually doesn't.

What I don't get is the five years.

If you cause death by dangerous driving and it's not a particularly aggravated offence you can be looking at a starting point of three years. A speeding cyclist killed a pedestrian on the bleeding pavement a few years back and he got seven months. This guy made a mistake which lasted a few seconds after years of good service and he gets five years in jail.

So why when you kill somebody by dangerous driving/cycling is it treated a lot less seriously than killing somebody by complete accident?

"Accidents" dont happen!! They are caused!!

Well yes that's true. It's also sometimes called the 'Swiss Cheese Model' in that an accident like this is never caused by a single error. It takes all the holes in the cheese to line up before the undesirable event happens. And that's what makes us call it an 'accident'.

So the guard's behaviour was only partly to blame. The fact the girl was off her head is also contributory, had she been sober she almost certainly would have not died. Almost certainly the company that runs the train service had policies in place which were contributory.

However the guard carried all the can here and paid a heavy price, IMO. Clearly he was in the accident chain, but seems to have had all the blame allocated.

This is a common occurance, easy to blame the little guy. People also like to blame only one thing, it's simpler that way, and people like simple explanations. People also don't like blaming a teenage victim either, which is illogical as she was clearly incapable of looking after herself and she only has herself to blame for that*, but that's just the way us humans work.

however my point still stands. If you kill somebody by dangerous driving you are likely to get less jail time. If you kill somebody by cycling on the pavement you hardly get any.

*actually not true, the barman who served her the drinks, the bar that did the cheap booze deal, the company that produced the fancy labelling to attact young drinkers, and her friends who encouraged her to get off her head are also in that accident chain. But people like to blame the guy who pressed the train start button, as it's easier.

You're the idiot. Condemning a man to jail because circumstances on that fateful night were beyond his control.

That's the whole point. Circumstances were NOT beyond his control, his reason for being there that night was to exercise control over the sfaety of that train on the platform. He just didn't do it.

Nobody has answered the Point

What SHOULD the Guard have done with the girl in those circumstances ???

Gently led her away from the train and sat her down. He was under no obligation to do anything other than that

JobAndKnock";p="2581454 said:

Gently led her away from the train and sat her down before signalling the train aw. He was under no obligation to do anything other than that. I've seen guards do this on my local line - if the drunks turn stroppy they are under instructions to ring the police (they all have company mobiles)

circumstances on that fateful night were beyond his control.

What was "out of his control" in this picture?

_64157016_varley.jpg

Why is it everyone defending him is coming out with reams of "what if" and "in other situation" scenarios.

Why not just deal with reality, there she is, in front of the yellow line, leaning on the train.

Look at that picture, now ask what his job is, what it is he is supposed to do, and what he did.

lastmagicbean said:
Ever been on the London underground in rush hour.????

Does it look anything like this

_64157016_varley.jpg

No?

That's the whole point. Circumstances were NOT beyond his control, his reason for being there that night was to exercise control over the sfaety of that train on the platform. He just didn't do it.

Of course they were beyond his control.
What control did the guard have over the mother letting her daughter run the streets high on drugs and alcohol?
None.

What control did the guard have over the girl consuming the drugs and alcohol?
None.

What control did the guard have over the girl holding her hands against a dangerous vehicle in order to prop herself up.
Again none.

The guard said in his testimony he believed the girl to be clear of the train.
Yes the guard made a mistake but not one to warrant a five year prison sentence.

What was "out of his control" in this picture?

The girl is obviously out of control. Had she been in control she wouldn't have died.

Like I said, if the guard can't manage one girl alone on the platform.

Then there is clearly no situation he can handle, no situation where he can be held accountable, sack the lot of them, they can't serve any purpose.

The guard said in his testimony he believed the girl to be clear of the train.

_64157016_varley.jpg

It's called "lying", people do it when they have made a mistake and wish to excuse themselves.

Sponsored Links
Back