More of an electronics question - Type TR 64 wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I wanted to repair this computer fan but the wire has been cut. I want to make a proper and safe repair so that they can be used in a computer without any worry about electrical faulting.

Here is a photo. The print on the cable is so small I can't get a decent photo.

Can anyone tell me a step by step of what's involved?

Most appreciated.

IMG_20180726_122108124.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it was mine, I'd strip the insulation away for around 10mm on each wire
Add a length of heat shrink tubing to one wire - say 25mm long
Twist the wires together and solder them
Push the heat shrink over the soldered join
Heat the heat shrink tube up with a hot air gun which will seal and cover things up perfectly.
Job done!
John :)

I find 3.2 is fine for car / bike electrics but you could go finer - 2.8 maybe or thereabouts.
Thankfully, the heat shrink reduces dramatically so the size isn't too critical. I have the multi pack shown there and its been fine for me!
One thing - this stuff has to be used as a tube - it can't be split and slipped over a wire, for example.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Burner, so the whole 150mm would be needed?

Out of interest, what is the reason it cannot be split, do you know ?

No, he doesn't mean you can't cut it into shorter lengths, he means you can't slit it longways and wrap it round after you have soldered.

You must slide it onto one of the wires before you solder, and make sure to keep it away from the heat of the soldering, or it will shrink and stick to the wire in the wrong place.

To be honest i would not waste money on heat sleeve, i would just use a bit of normal sleeve, you likely have brown or earth sleeve left from your previous work, a length about 50mm wil slip over and the solder will likely hold it in place, its likely no more than 24volt anyway

Making the cuts and sleeving over the shrink wrap :

IMG_20180730_205120237.jpg

Splicing the wires together:

IMG_20180730_205259017.jpg

Soldering:

IMG_20180730_205723086.jpg

Using a lighter/ matches to shrink the wrap :

IMG_20180730_210144169.jpg

Completed:

IMG_20180730_212313497.jpg

Hope somebody someday comes across this thread and finds it useful :))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back