Mortar washed out from between the bricks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have recently lowered the ground level at the front of the property and discovered that the 'mortar has been washed out' over the years? Or has it? Are there supposed to be gaps or should I fill them? Would normal mortar mix be OK to do it?
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20190604_131355.jpg
    20190604_131355.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 292
  • 20190604_131406.jpg
    20190604_131406.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 322
  • 20190604_131400.jpg
    20190604_131400.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 290
Sponsored Links
how old is the house?

Has there been a nearby leaking drain?

If you poke a pencil into the joint, how far will it go before hitting firm mortar?

the bbeds and perps have been re-pointed in the past few years.
the newly exposed course of bricks has eroded mortar joins - clean out all loose mortar from the exposed beds, and re-point wit a sand and cement mix or a sand and lime mix at approx 4:1.

i cant see the DPC bed line,
the cable needs re-running or it will eventually trip someone.
only one air brick is showing - are there more on the front elevation?
thats a cavity wall - any signs of damp inside the house around the bay skirting?
why did you lower the ground level?
do the hall and bay front room have suspended or solid floors?

Thank you for your suggestions.
No, there is no leaking drain nearby.
The pencil goes about 4cm in some places.
The ground was lowered only because there was so much debris and rubble and I am planning to have some slate chippings there. There was no damp and the floors are suspended.
I have read somewhere that there may be some drip bricks... They do seem to be slightly recessed compared to the rest of the bricks?

Sponsored Links
If you have lime mortar and wet ground I would be less surprised. The age of the house will give a clue. Younger houses are much more likely to have cement mortar which is more durable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back