MOT failure due to brake lines

The garage had people coming and going all the time I was there. Most were on first name terms with the owner and his 12 staff from what I saw.

Because I had driven the van there with no other means of getting home :oops: He made space in the garage and put a couple of fellows on it straight away.

I'm well happy with them :p

Sponsored Links
I knew a guy who 'repaired' cars for a living in a back street garage sort of way.
One day I went to see him and he was busy under a car with an angle grinder. Believe it or not he was grinding the brake pipes as they were rusty and when finished he was daubing them with grease.
I can't see the sense in cars having brake pipes that corrode when there are non corrosive alternatives available,many times I've changed steel pipes due to pitting only to find they shear off very easily as the unions are removed due to rust.

I spray the underside of my cars with oil about once a year (when I remember) this not only ******* rust on the chassis but also the brake pipes and if they are oily its very difficult to see any corrosion on them. Having run hydropnumatic Citroens for many years with their miles of piping it has paid dividends, especially as you can spray oil in the difficult to reach parts where corrosion usually takes place unnoticed.

If you squirt about an oilcan full into each sill it will creep over time into the seams which is where the rust often starts. You can do this simply by removing a tread plate screw and injecting it through the hole.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back