Mot Or scrap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I have a 2004 Renault Clio Expression 16V, 1149CC Petrol, 5DR, Manual
Mot is due next month, i value the car at around 500 quid. (at a push)
The problems
All 4 wheels i believe to be under the limit/damaged
when i break the fog lights come on for a second
the service and airbag light is on
Engine undertray is partially hanging off
the door open symbol is on, despite me closing all doors and looking for what could be in the way
Clutch is making a clicking noise when i push all the way down, car is on 95000 on the clock, and cant see any history of it being changed etc, so expecting it to go soon.
Basically i was wondering if anyone had an advice on a rough cost of these repairs to pass the mot, or whether to take the 100 odd scrap money, and buy another cheap car whilst i continue to save? any help much appreciated thankyou

Sponsored Links
Scrap it, with those sort of faults, others are bound to crop up afterwards. But you might get a bit more selling it for spares or repair.

If you are going to sell it makes sure you do so before the MOT runs out or it will be virtually worthless.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Currently I have a 2004 Renault Clio Expression 16V, 1149CC Petrol, 5DR, Manual

"All 4 wheels i believe to be under the limit/damaged" Tyres I presume - expect to pay £150 (min) but more likely £200 for 4.
"when i break the fog lights come on for a second" Rear Fog? earthing problem - you should be able to sort
"the service and airbag light is on" + "the door open symbol is on" Any warnings are a MOT failure
"Clutch is making a clicking noise when i push all the way down, car is on 95000 on the clock, and cant see any history of it being changed etc, so expecting it to go soon." Do you do a lot of in-town driving? that will shorten the life of the clutch but it could also be an adjustment needed. Clutch replacement cost seems to be £300 min.

"Basically i was wondering if anyone had an advice on a rough cost of these repairs to pass the mot, or whether to take the 100 odd scrap money, and buy another cheap car whilst i continue to save" So you have to spend up £500 to keep it on the road if fixing the warning issues can be done cheaply or sell to vehicle dismanteler for £100 - I think that puts you £600 min into buying a replacement.

Is that a good answer?

You have to ask yourself if you could renovate the car cheaply enough to get it through it's MOT, and then sell it wil a clear concience. And why are you asking DIYers, rather than a garage.

You can find the faulty door light switch youself to cure the door open light. You can get part worn tyres to get it through it's MOT, and you can check all the wiring connections on the brake, fog and indicator lights. And as the service light is coming on, then it makes me wonder when you last serviced it, as thats what it's telling you to do, but the clutch and the airbag need doing by a mechanic, and that's who you need to talk to.

Basically, the cars been abused, and should be taken off the road before it kills someone, so do the decent thing, and scrap it.

No brainer this one, scrap it whilst it's still driveable - to the scrap yard, better price than if they have to collect the car.

Depends how competent you are. As said, you may be able to get a set of secondhand wheels. The door light is nothing to do with mot. Fog light is probably just a bad earth at the lamp. Airbag light on these is normally a loose/disconnected wire under one or other of the front seats. Service light on these DOES NOT mean it needs a service. It just means one or more warning lights are on - in this case, the airbag light and the service light will go out when you fix the airbag light. Remove the undertray. If it's driving okay, worry about the clutch when it happens.

Why buy a cheap runaround - you've already got one and the new one could have the same, if not more, things wrong with it.

I'd start it's looking at the airbag light first as that could be your biggest problem/expense if it's not a loose/disconnected wire and could cost nothing to fix.

2.5 months have elapsed, I'd have hoped he'd scrapped it by now!

Sponsored Links
Back