Motherboard Identification

I'm assuming the back of your drive looks like this:
41749d1260644076-installing-sata-dvd-blu-ray-burner-sata_hard_drive_connectors_jumpers.jpg

The marked connector is an SATA power connector. Immediately to the right of it is the SATA data connector. The large, four pin connector on the right hand side of the drive is also a power connector. If your power supply doesn't have an SATA power connector, just use the four pin type.

This is what an SATA power connector normally looks like:
SATA_power_cable.jpg

Sponsored Links
OK. Thanks, guys.

The SATA connector is right, but the other connections don't look like those in your pic.

I recognise the round four-pin jobbie, of which I have a bundle connected to the mobo.

The others are not like I have seen before. Tell you what, I'll try & post a piccy here what it looks like.

Yeah, I'm getting confused. I'm old, it's late, that's my excuse!

The tech sheet for my HDD is here:

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/disc/iguides/sata/100270027h.pdf

My model is ST3120827AS.

This is the same as you have posted, isn't it?

Right, I've got it, I think!

I have located a SATA power connector (the fifteen pin jobbie), but can't find the SATA data connector (the seven pin jobbie) in the PC.

I'll go have another eyeball...

Thanks.

EDIT: :cry: Me no can find connector. Boo Hoo.

Surely if my mobo supports SATA and has a SATA power connector, it'll have SATA data connectors too??

Me confused!!

Sponsored Links
Your motherboard does not have an SATA power connector. All power is supplied by the PSU.

epox-9nda3+-sata.jpg

You may need a cable..

Thanks, M!

But now I really am confused!

I can see loads of SATA power connectors. They even fit the HDD. They are labelled "SATA".

However, they don't many conductors connected to them, certainly not as many conductors are there are pins on the connector plug.

But I can't find any SATA data connectors, the 7 pin ones.

Is it this cable (the SATA data cable) you mean that I need?

EDIT: I can see on my mobo, sockets labelled SATA 1 through 4. These are 7 pin jobbies. Right. So I need a patch cable with SATA 7 pin female on each end, right?

Would it matter which number socket was attached to the HDD? There will only be one H drive.

EDIT II:

This cable?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151963

that's the correct cable to connect the sata drive to the motherboard SS.
As to which connection you use on the motherboard, the documentation with the motherboard should tell you whether any will do.

Thanks, JJ.

Been to Epox's site & tried to download mobo manual, but the link's broken or summat. Can't reach that page...

I'll just try them all in turn... ;)

Thanks, M!

But now I really am confused!

I can see loads of SATA power connectors. They even fit the HDD. They are labelled "SATA".

These are attached to your PSU, not your motherboard.

However, they don't many conductors connected to them, certainly not as many conductors are there are pins on the connector plug.

That's because the connectors use multiple pins for each voltage (3.3V, 5V, 12V, and a ground connection. Also a staggered spinup control.). Using multiple, smaller pins allows for a slimmer connector, with less friction for backplane use. They also have several extended pins to allow for hotplugging.

Would it matter which number socket was attached to the HDD? There will only be one H drive.

No, it doesn't really matter, but you should use the first anyway.

This cable?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151963[/QUOTE]

Yes, that would work, but I suggest you work out the length so you don't have too tight a fit or too much excess cable.

You may also want to note that that particular cable will come out of the top of the drive, whereas this will come out of the bottom: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/123999

Thanks. Ordered as of now!

When I've got all the bits I need assembled onto the mobo, I'll fire it up and see what happens... :eek:

Thanks. Ordered as of now!

When I've got all the bits I need assembled onto the mobo, I'll fire it up and see what happens... :eek:

BANG.. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nah only did that once SS. Put a sound card in an old computer. Mrs said don't make a noise I'm going to bed. 10 mins later turned it on and BANG. Hiroshima sized cloud of smoke came out of the computer. ;) ;) ;) ;)

OK. I've got the memcard fitted, the drive installed and attached to the SATA power and the SATA data cables.

I'm just waiting on getting an OS. I have ordered a copy of Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat. Just hope it's simples!

I do have an XP home edition CD. The PC has an XP key sticker on it, but it's not XP home. Would it still install?

I was ready to go when I discovered the graph card was missing.....Durrr!!

So now I need a graphics card..... I wish I'd bought a 200 quid special from ebuyer now.....

Although, maybe it's a good learning experience to fiddle with the computer & try and get it running.....

Er, I've looked up the EP9NDA3+ mobo and can't see which graphics cards are compatible. Does anyone have a link?

No, no! I didn't buy a copy.

I have a genuine Win XP Home disc, and the PC has a Windows Product Key sticker on it. I was just wondering if I could use the Win XP Home disc with the product key on the PC...

Great. So any AGP card will work with that Epox mobo?

I'll look up some now.

Sponsored Links
Back