Motherboard Identification

If it's a PCI card, it should just drop in. Make sure the tongue on the backplate isn't catching on its way past the motherboard.

Sponsored Links
OK. Got the system running.

Now I'm having an issue trying to load Ubuntu from CD Rom.

I've entered the BIOS and the boot sequence is set for CD Rom first boot.

However, rebooting just produces an error:

DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

Which system disk is this?

Are you sure the CD drive is recognised by the BIOS?

Also check the CD actually works.

Sponsored Links
Monkeh, thanks.

There are two optical devices, a CD Rom & DVD drives.

They both appear to operate, but without removing them & putting them in another machine, I don't know if they're fully functional.

If the CD drive does not work, then I could use the DVD. I'd be surprised if they were both kaput.

How do I check the BIOS recognises a component?

It does appear in the list under first boot device, but is that proof the BIOS recognises it or not?

If the device appears by name in the BIOS, it's fine.

Try the CD in both drives and in another machine.

Thanks again, Monkeh.

It appears in the BIOS, but just as generic "CD ROM", not naming the device precisely, ie Sony XYZ123 or whatever it is.

I shall try the CD in my PC (you can boot from the disk)

There should be a screen in the BIOS somewhere which enumerates the PATA/SATA devices connected to the board. If the drive isn't listed there by make or model then it's not being recognised.

I'll go dig it out of the manual.

E: Here, have a manual: http://common.ddix.ru/data/download/brands/epox/manuals/mu-9nda3plus.zip

These boards have a lot more control over individual ports than the norm. Make sure all the ports and channels are enabled.

Thanks for the manual.

I shall have another look tomorrow.

If I cannot set the CD rom to boot, I suppose I could try and enable BOD.

I have tried booting my PC from the Ubuntu disc and it's OK.

I shall also make sure all ports & channels are enabled.

Thanks again, Monkeh.

It appears in the BIOS, but just as generic "CD ROM", not naming the device precisely, ie Sony XYZ123 or whatever it is.

Maybe the jumpers are set incorrectly? on the cd drive? or the cddrive needs a bios update?

Thanks again, Monkeh.

Maybe the jumpers are set incorrectly? on the cd drive? or the cddrive needs a bios update?

Jumpers are a possibility but unlikely. Whether it's in master, slave, or CS mode it should show up so long as it's the only drive on the cable. Worth checking, though. Master or CS at the end of the cable for a single drive.

As for the firmware update, I've never seen an update be needed for pure reading functionality. Only writing.

OK. I have accessed the Boot First Device Menu.

Set to CD Rom. No Device Found.....

So, I'll take a look inside the PC & report back what I find.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Is that enough??

The IDE connector for the optical drives had become dislodged...

Right. It's now booted from CD Rom. Ubuntu is loading, but it appears to have come to a grinding halt.

Does anyone here have any experience of loading Ubuntu 10.10?

Sponsored Links
Back