(Motor mower) Next little project for advice

Evening,
I spent about an hour today moving the outer backward & forward etc but the speed of the mower didn't gain any speed at all.

Now in bed on the iPad I've had a thought.
Will adjusting the self propell adjustment on the cable be helpful.
I mean if it's adjusted to the position it's currently set at then no matter how hard or how much you pull on the bar it won't travel any faster but with an adjustment of the cable it will travel.
Doesn't it work like a brake, I mean squeeze it a little and it crawls but squeeze it a little more it then travels a bit faster. Maybe it's not adjusted correct and the speed is then being held back.

What do you think or doesn't it work like that ?

Sponsored Links
Its unusual that a mower in the price bracket of yours will have variable speed transmision.
What your maybe experiencing with it just starting to move with a gentle movement of the lever is the drive engagment mechanism hasnt fully engaged/ tightened the drive /belt which is allowing some slippage , as already said, increase in engine speed could be the only easy option
In recent years mower manufacturers seem to have decreased the running speed of the engines they use in order to comply with sound /vibration levels so revs can be increased but only to the engine manufacturers specs

Last edited:
One thing you could check is the pulley condition, one flank may be heavily worn if the belt has been too tight at some time.
These axles aren't variable speed as a rule and usually the first item to fail.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back