Motorbike helmet irritating skin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have dry/irritated skin around my earlobes and on my forehead. I’m sure it’s my helmet because I have a mark on my forehead in the same place as the dry skin after i’ve worn it.

I’ve seen an Airoh Hyperalergenic helmet, is it worth trying one of those or should I be looking at getting some AloVera or something?

Sponsored Links
maybe it's sweat, or the synthetic lining of the helmet irritating the skin. I hope it's a good fit and the same shape as your head. My head is Arai-shaped. They really do vary.

You can wear a thin balaclava in a different fabric, which will keep your skin from contacting the helmet lining. I think I have a polypropylene one, but I don't have this prob so never paid much attention to the material. I think I've seen silk ones.

Sponsored Links
My head is Shoei shaped :)
I give my lid a good clean twice during the riding season, using baby shampoo and the shower - its amazing what comes out.
I think your lid is the wrong size!
John :)

Uddermint!

Sooths and softens.

Sounds like I should keep it away from my helmet!!

There’s an e-bay seller near me that has hundreds of helmets listed. I’m going to go there and get a new one. The one I have now is a hand me down from my mate Dave, it seems an ok fit but is a bit tight on the ears.

if its quite old
try washing with a well squeezed soapy cloth as it may be build up off salt or irritants

640x640.fit.helmet_3d_scootersaurus_angle_view.jpg

Here ya go.

My head is Arai-shaped. They really do vary.
My head is Shoei shaped :)
My head is Arai shaped, the Shoeis felt too 'round' for me. Don't scrimp on a cheap helmet, it'll just annoy you until you replace it. Try on a Shoei or an Arai of the correct size, then work your way along the shelf, trying all the cheaper ones. At the end, try your preferred Shoei or Arai again and feel the difference for yourself. They really are worth the couple/few hundred quid. I highly recommend the pinlock on my Arai too - it's a stick-on see-through thing you put on the visor which stops it steaming up (nothing to do with a lock as the name infers) - they work great.

Go for the silk balaclava to start, they really make things more comfortable in the helmet.

Sponsored Links
Back