Motoring in france

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, I'm going to be driving in France. I know I'm insured to do so up to 30 days (fine). What else should I check?

Serious tips and warnings welcomed.

Not "they dont sell diesel in France"

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Right, I'm going to be driving in France. I know I'm insured to do so up to 30 days (fine). What else should I check?

Serious tips and warnings welcomed.

Not "they dont sell diesel in France"

Cheers.

I think they drive on the " wrong side " of the road over there ;)

Did some driving in France last year, The info motoring abroad below is from Jan 2007 at time of going to press so better check if it's still the same.

In France it's compulsory for:

GB sticker or GB Euroflag Number Plate

Heaplamp Converter

High Visibility Jacket

Spare Bulbs

Also recommended but not compulsory:

First Aid Kit

Fire Extinguisher

Good Samaritan Law
This Europeanlaw requires every driver to stop and provide assistance when encountering an accident or incident if it is safe to do so. This may require a Fire Exinguisher and a First Aid Kit, so it is strongly recommended to carry these.

Sponsored Links
have you got Satnav?

If not, my local Halfords is selling TomTom One XL European (includes detailed Western Europe maps) at £160 (which is less than the UK only one :confused: and it is supposed to be a pretty good device.

Get yourself a good regional map anyway (they sell them on the ferry)

tie something to your mirror to remind you to keep right. You are most likely to make a mistake at a roundabout, or when rejoining the road from a petrol station or something.

You are supposed to take your car registration doc with you, as well as insurance and MoT.

Learn to say Bonjour and Merci at the very least.

most frenchies can speak some English, but they take the view that when you are in their country, it is up to you to speak their language.

also see http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/index.html
and consider taking out 10 days or whatever recovery cover.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/aa-compulsory-equipment-Jan2008.doc

They have quite a few toll roads which are fairly empty and not very expensive. Do not speed on them as the cash booth automatically checks your time of exit against time of entry and you will be fined if you have got there too soon.

Slow down in the rain, speed limits are lower.
Lights on in fog
If someone flashes their headlights at you it usually means there is a mobile radar unit ahead
There are on the spot fines for motoring offences, big ones. An ignorance of French will not save you. The police are right, always.
Rappel means slow down
Marvel at the open roads, enjoy the smooth surfaces, wonder why we can't manage it.

They have quite a few toll roads which are fairly empty and not very expensive. Do not speed on them as the cash booth automatically checks your time of exit against time of entry and you will be fined if you have got there too soon.

I believe this system is soon to be introduced on our motorways. You get filmed entering the slip road and filmed leaving the far slip road and the computer then works out your speed. They will even clock you in an out of motorway services.

No good for safety though as the racers simply speed with impunity and then pull over for a celebratory shag/fag until it's time to exit legally :LOL:

What's a celebrity shagfag? Where do you pull over to?

Thanks for the tips folks, its useful. My dad's driven in france before, but a long time ago. I fear I may have to have my headlights done by a pro, because they are a funky shape and might need adjusting as opposed to sticking over them. :(

Carry a wad of euro's.

If the police stop you for a traffic offence, they will want payment in cash there & then. If you can't pay, they will impound your C4... :cry:

This is quite good;

http://gitelink.com/france-travel.htm

Yes, as someone said, speed limits are lower in rain. When I last drove in France a couple of years ago, the limit on mway was 130, but 110 in rain.

the froggies don't adjust their headlamps when they come over here. They are stunned by the idea.

BTW they don't use yellow headlights any more

I have seen a very simple black stick tape triangle used to blank off the headlights but I bet you can get a converter to fit. browse the AA or ferry sites and read the owners handbook.

Sponsored Links
Back