Move switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved a light switch from one side of a door to another
Do I need to protect the cable or can I fill/plaster around it

Thanks

Sponsored Links
differences of opinion on what you should use, but either trunking or capping before you plaster over the cable

And take it all the way to the top of the wall, along near the ceiling (about 3-4cm in) then STRAIGHT down to the switch)

Otherwise someone will only go to put something like a clock above the door, and nail straight though it.

Idealy, you would take up the floor board upstairds directly above the switch, pull the wire all the way out, then feed it down in line to where you want the new switch position to be.........

Yup capping is a min, conduit isn't essenial in a sold wall for a light switch, but many people have a personal preference.

Thanks
just out of interest is this simply to protect from accidental damage or will the plaster corrode the cable?

Sponsored Links
Plaster will not damage cable.

In theory the protection is to stop damage to the cable when plastering takes place.

wasn't there a post on here where some one mentioned that plaster DID "corrode" a cable?

breezer said:
wasn't there a post on here where some one mentioned that plaster DID "corrode" a cable?

Not seen the post your referring too, but there is a school of thought that believes that plasyer does damage PVC cables, especially LSF types.

Apparently plaster leaches some of the plasticiser out of the PVC making the cables brittle over a period of several years.

I have no idea how accurate this train of thought is, but considering the fact that capping is cheap, it is better to cap and be confident of no problems than not capping and face the potential of problems later down the line.

It is also good practice as the cable is less likely to be damaged

It's all horrible - I much prefer conduit through which cables can be pulled at any time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back