Moving a gas meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
No, you have personal knowledge of ONE installation alteration, namely your own

Wrong again. The move of meter at this cottage is NOT the only one

Like most things in life, MY trade is a steep learning curve & mercifully every day is a Skool Day.

It is obvious there are several different skools training RGIs, obvious since when the same situation is put in front of a few RGis each will have their own "best" advice, recommendations and methods for the situation.

And I can fully understand a trades person getting upset or stressed when they meet someone who is not in the trade but who can collate information, think and make informed judgements about the advice, recommendations and methods the trained tradesman offers. And when two or more tradesmen offer different advice, recommendations and methods for the same situation then an informed judgment about which tradesman is correct ( or least in error ) has to be made.

Aye well, let me know when you meet that 'someone' BG, cause it ain't you pal!!

Last edited:
No, you have personal knowledge of ONE installation alteration, namely your own

Wrong again. The move of meter at this cottage is NOT the only one

Like most things in life, MY trade is a steep learning curve & mercifully every day is a Skool Day.

It is obvious there are several different skools training RGIs, obvious since when the same situation is put in front of a few RGis each will have their own "best" advice, recommendations and methods for the situation.

And I can fully understand a trades person getting upset or stressed when they meet someone who is not in the trade but who can collate information, think and make informed judgements about the advice, recommendations and methods the trained tradesman offers. And when two or more tradesmen offer different advice, recommendations and methods for the same situation then an informed judgment about which tradesman is correct ( or least in error ) has to be made.

How many meters have you moved then sunshine?? You post up such complete drivel & you are very dangerous!!!

Sponsored Links
How many meters have you moved then sunshine?? You post up such complete drivel & you are very dangerous!!!

I personally have not moved any gas meters, I do not have the necessary training or experience to do the work. That does not mean I cannot be fully aware of what is involved in deciding what is the best option when a meter has to be moved or a new service has to be installed.

In your mind I may seem very big headed and full of myself. By comparision I probably am. But then my opinions and decisions are not biased by the need to make a decent profit.

Ah, if only that were true - whether you are successfully deceiving yourself I can't say, but I doubt you are deceiving anyone here, for it is clear from what you write that you don't actually have any interest in learning.

We've all done what you did - come late to a topic and not read all the previous posts, and thus end up making an observation which you would know was incorrect had you read them.

But even after the bit of banter above, you still didn't take the hint, and you still carried on writing nonsense like this:

Well Built-a-Shed I'd move these f.cking daft cables before contacting anyone!!
If you can't be bothered to do this job properly, don't do it.

Either apply the same skill, professionalism and care here that you do in real life with your work, or go away.

Ah, if only that were true - whether you are successfully deceiving yourself I can't say, but I doubt you are deceiving anyone here, for it is clear from what you write that you don't actually have any interest in learning.

We've all done what you did - come late to a topic and not read all the previous posts, and thus end up making an observation which you would know was incorrect had you read them.

But even after the bit of banter above, you still didn't take the hint, and you still carried on writing nonsense like this:

Either apply the same skill, professionalism and care here that you do in real life with your work, or go away.

Ah is your ego that big BAS that you think I could learn something from the boring drivel you post up??!!

I personally have not moved any gas meters, I do not have the necessary training or experience to do the work. That does not mean I cannot be fully aware of what is involved in deciding what is the best option when a meter has to be moved or a new service has to be installed.

In your mind I may seem very big headed and full of myself. By comparision I probably am. But then my opinions and decisions are not biased by the need to make a decent profit.

Mate, you've no training, qualifations or experience but you're an expert on the subject???!!!.......Go figure!!

Just to make clear, before any Mod gets agitated, this is NOT about DIY gas work, and I am not one of those people who says "I am going to use a tradesman, but I just want to understand what's involved so I don't get taken for a ride" when what they mean is "I am going to do this myself but I know I'd better not say that".

Anyway - Q.

I'm not talking about wholesale relocation, just a bit of "adjustment" - does the flexible pipe before the meter allow a bit of movement?

screenshot_870.jpg

The old iron pipe immediately to the right of the meter is uncapped, and must be the old one which used to serve the fireplaces, the cooker point etc, so if I were to cut it off level with the floor, the meter would be able to move back and to the right, go up against the wall, and not be quite such a PITA in the under-stairs cupboard.

Clearly the rigid pipework on my side would need to be re-made, but that's no biggie as we're going to be getting someone in to move our gas boiler.

Would an RGI be prepared to rotate it anti-clockwise slightly, so that it moves back on the RHS by about 10cm, and a bit to the right to clear the service fuse??

Photo from another angle:

screenshot_872.jpg

OOI - is the angled plate meant to be used to fix the meter to or against a wall? As it is, the it's just sitting on the floor, not restrained in any way.

I mean, who in their right mind is going to buy a gaff, look at this & think 'Oh that looks OK'.

I won't ask DP, as this seems to be a joined-up-thinking-free weekend for him, but can somebody please tell me what is so dangerous about Bernard's comments on meter-move prices that he should be banned?

Ah is your ego that big BAS that you think I could learn something from the boring drivel you post up??!!
What I think, as I said, is that you should behave in a professional and useful way, and take the trouble to read the earlier posts about those cables, instead of writing stuff like this:

Tony, they're Sparks, thick as mince!! I mean look at the cables that some cowboy Spark has stuffed behind the gas meter in the photo??!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mate, you've no training, qualifations or experience but you're an expert on the subject???!!!.......Go figure!!
You have no idea of my training or experience but you are an expert on my ( lack off ) ability. Go think about it.

Have you ever worked on a heating system involving water under 12 bar pressure heated by several kilowatts of three phase electric immersion heaters ? Design of the monitoring and safety control for that required an in depth knowledge of how the system operated. This super heated water was used to heat the extrusion nozzles in machines that turn plastic pellets in gas and water pipes.

I never claim to be an expert, but I do know enough to know when someone is not the expert they claim their training has made them to be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back