Moving a light switch (quite a big distance)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. Somehow got my dimensions all wrong in a bedroom, and light switches on either side of a bed aren't even close to being wide enough apart for the bed that's meant to go there, and not high enough to go above a headboard. Total idiot, I know. Schoolboy error.

The builders have pretty much done the flooring as well now, so I no longer have access to the cabling to move them. I'm obviously asking them, but wanted to inform myself too in case they just give me a quick "nothing to be done" answer (which may of course be absolutely true!).

It's not a matter of just a few centimetres, so there won't be enough existing wire length to just shift the plate. Is there anything at all that can be done? I've looked at some other similar threads, but they were mostly just moving a couple of inches so not sure in my case.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
So the cables come up from the floor to the switches, and you need to move them horizontally.

In the existing back boxes put connector strips and chase the wall horizontally to the new switch positions. Put blanking plates over the original boxes.

So the cables come up from the floor to the switches, and you need to move them horizontally.

In the existing back boxes put connector strips and chase the wall horizontally to the new switch positions. Put blanking plates over the original boxes.

Thanks, ban-all-sheds.

I imagine this depends on which direction the cables/wires are running from the floor? I.e if the cables are running from left to right, but I need to move it further to the right, there wouldn't be any wire to do this?

you add lengths of cable ,joined into the connector strips as ban all sheds advised above.

Sponsored Links
you add lengths of cable ,joined into the connector strips as ban all sheds advised above.
Unless the cables are in the recognised zones for cabling, you must leave the place for the connection visible.
So a junction in the old switch box is ok, but you can't plaster over it. You would need to replace the switch with a blanking plate.

Great, thanks again, understood on all counts. I'll find a slim/flush screwless blanking plate. It'll still be visible, but at least better than having the round switch hit you on the back of the head. Serves me right for messing it up in the first place

That would be good, if you could, but you say you have no access under the floor any more.

Flooring which does that is best avoided.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back