Moving a wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I need to move a wall light and would like to know the best way to do this.

265_6579.jpg

When the lights were originally put in, there was a built in shelf / cupboard affair to the right as you look at the wall, so the light fitting was centered between the left wall and the unit.

Now the unit has gone and the wall light is off centre by approx 80cm.

The obvious is to channel down from the bedroom above, however, this isn't possible as there is fitted furniture etc above so I can't get to it.

Whats the best practice for chanelling across and junction boxes for the connetions etc?

Is it best to channel across just under the coving etc?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you can't gain access from above, can you gain access from below i.e. knock a hole in the ceiling?

Uhm, technically I suppose I could...but don't really want to! Are you not supposed to channel across the wall?

You could need the cable to run vetically to the new position, to keep the cable in a safe zone where it's not likely to get drilled.

You may run cables horizontally within 150 mm below the ceiling.

You need to see if there is any slack on the cable. You never know, you may not have to join it.

Determine which way the joists go. It may be favourable to cut a section of the ceiling out, don't waste time trying to make it a small section, you will only struggle fixing it back up.

If you need to/can remove a section of ceiling you may find the cable, and possibly it will be long enough, if you are lucky. You will have to drill holes in any joists to get the cable to the new position, unless there are already some there.

Sponsored Links
You could run cable in that coving, then drop down to the new cable position.

You cannot do a joint at the old light position because it will mean there will be cable that is not in a safe zone.

You could run cable in that coving, then drop down to the new cable position.

Coving is great for that. Looking at your picture, you've got to repair/replace a chuink of the coving anyway. Pull out the coving, extend your cable and run it behine the coving, Job done.

Oh one gotcha.

The joint on the cable. You should not use screwed terminals for that. the joint will not be accessible so you'll need proper crimp terminals, or a solder joint.

Have a nice weekend ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back