Moving doors - help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this is the correct section for my questions.

We have two adjoining bedrooms each with a built in wardrobe in the dividing wall area. My wife wants both wardrobes to be in one bedroom with sliding doors fitted. I have removed the door of one robe and the surrounding trim and frame. The wall is double plasterboard with "eggbox" inside which I think is called Paramount Partition.

I seek advice on how to proceed, please. I foolishly bought two 8x4 plasterboard panels but it is thinner than what is there. 9.5mm and should be 12mm. Should I scrap what I bought and get the thicker board or make a thicker timber frame and use the thin board?

Do I need plastering skills for this job?

Should I use the frame I removed for the aperture in the other wall? Do I try to find a stud where I am fitting the other frame?

Can I remove the dividing partition between the two wardrobes or might
the loft cave in?

So many questions! I’d like to do it myself but need advice please. How would an expert do this job?

Many thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
an expert would probably trash the lot and start from scratch.

rip out, make good ceiling (boards only), make good floor (if necessary and not prohibitive to the sparky or plumber) build stud partition, fit electrics, alter any central heating piping if necessary, plaster board walls, skim up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back