Moving electric car chargepoint to new house

Well anyone can have one installed if they pay for it. I seem to remember that the old grant scheme didn't require you to have a car though, but I could be wrong.

Sponsored Links
Well anyone can have one installed if they pay for it. I seem to remember that the old grant scheme didn't require you to have a car though, but I could be wrong.

Sorry, I missed out the "Because it was free" bit in the paraphasing

But its interesting that there was an old scheme that didnt require you to have an EV, probably got discontinued because of that sort of abuse of it!

It would be better if the condition was if the property doesn't have a charger AND the owner of the propery has resonable grounds for one (Owns EV, leases EV, has EV assigned as company vehicle etc) with perhaps some kind of safeguard that someone with 100 buy to let proerties couldn't have 100 chargers installed, 95 % of which would never be used

Sponsored Links
It would be better if the condition was if the property doesn't have a charger AND the owner of the propery has resonable grounds for one
Agreed, but when has the civil service ever thought that carefully about anything?

I collected an urgent passport yesterday in person. At the 'interview' I was ask to evaluate the person's performance and drop the form into the collection point in the entrance hall. But the only way out of the security check took me outside the back of the building.

Can’t you sell the car to a family member registered at the new address then apply for grant

'per household/eligible vehicle'. No, on 2 counts.
That seems to raise two questions.

Firstly, does 'a household' refer to a group of people (regardless of where they live), rather than a group of people living at a particular address? Secondly, does a vehicle become 'ineligible' for someone who subsequently becomes the owner if it has already been subject of a grant (under previous ownership)?

Kind Regards, John

This comes under the heading of 'you would have to ask the government'. I doubt that they would even understand the questions as they are represented on the phone by people who have no experience of the questions they get asked.

This comes under the heading of 'you would have to ask the government'. I doubt that they would even understand the questions as they are represented on the phone by people who have no experience of the questions they get asked.
That's all true, but I wouldn't be surprised (for much the same reasons) if one didn't actually have to ask the questions ...

... if a new owner of the vehicle (who had never previously applied for a grant) applied for a grant for an address that had not previously had a grant (i.e. what EFLI suggested, using a family member), then I suspect that they might well (without thinking any more deeply) regard that as satisfying the 'one grant per household/eligible vehicle' requirement, and would therefore simply issue the grant.

Kind Regards, John

You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment ... except - the result will not depend on logic, but a random interpretation of the rules.

You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment ... except - the result will not depend on logic, but a random interpretation of the rules.
Again true, with the proviso that anything other than the interpretation I suggested would probably require more thinking than is probably usually available - if it's an address for which a grant has never been issued (hence obviously not for any particular vehicle there) limited thought would probably lead to the assumption that the siutuation satisfied the rules (and, indeed, that might even be the 'intended' interpretation of the rules)! However, as you say, who knows?!

Kind Regards, John

Put it this way - anything is worth a try. It it saves money it was worth it. Logic doesn't really apply as it is the government that decides. It probably depends whether a household at a new address is the same household who used to live at a different address. This is why civil servants get payed the big bucks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back