Moving electric car chargepoint to new house

It probably depends whether a household at a new address is the same household who used to live at a different address.
You appear to be answering one of the questions I posed, since your wording suggests that you are regarding 'a household' as a group of people, rather than a group of people who live at a particular address. I must confess that I've never thought of it like that, but you may be right.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
And how simple it would have been to avoid all these questions/issues/doubts.

The one thing which doesn't move is the property, so tie the charging point to that, and make it not the homeowner's property to remove, and the eligibility for a grant a simple "does the property already have a charging point?".

In this case garmcqui would leave it behind, with the new owner benefiting from his investment in it just like they benefit from any other improvements he had made to the property. If, for example, he'd qualified for grants towards the cost of insulation, he would not expect to remove that and take it to his new home. And when he moves to a new home without a charging point he can get one installed with a grant because the answer to "does the property already have a charging point?" is "no".

If his attitude on having one installed is "I'll be b*****ed if I'm going to leave it behind" then he doesn't apply for a grant towards its cost, and he is free to take it away when he moves.

As I wrote, I suspect that the rules could well be interpreted simplistically (maybe by 'simple people') in much that way - i.e. that the crucial issue is 'one per property'- and I suppose that '...and one eligible vehicle' (at that property) is probably consistent with that, since they wouldn't want to give more than one grant to a property with more than one EV - and they probably also wouldn't want to give a grant to a property with no EVs (to someone just wanting to 'enhance the value' of the property, with no need themselves for a charging point).

I think the latter is an unlikely situation over which to be concerned.

It would only increase the value of a house to someone who had an EV and wanted a charging point, and were grant eligibility to be based as I proposed, that value would (if Rolec are representative) be only a few £'00. But whatever its value, how could it ever be much more than the cost of having one installed? If Seller had already paid out £x00 to have one installed then £x00 would be the most his property would have gained, so he would not be able to profit from it. Even when other potential costs to Buyer (some intangible), such as disruption, redecoration, having to manage without one for their car for a while are factored in, any hard financial outlay would already have come out of Seller's pocket, so again I see little opportunity for enrichment.

Yes - a charging point might make a house easier to sell. It might also make it harder and/or reduced in value if poorly done, or if a new buyer doesn't need one and doesn't fancy this sort of thing adorning the front of his house.

upload_2018-10-8_12-48-52.png

I can't see how gratuitous grant-funded charging point installation could be a worthwhile way for people to profit from the public purse.

Sponsored Links
What is the purpose of the grant - to encourage uptake of EVs, or to discourage the use of EVs by multi-car households, or to make it more difficult to move house if you own an EV?

PS. Don't forget to remove all the lightbulbs.

Yes it looks like it.
Given the main door is obstructed by the car, if mine, I'd quite like to use that side door. No excuse for needing to run a cable across it.

So, revisiting this thread after quite a while and it seemed to descend into a debate about the pros and cons of the EV charger grant etc.

To those making out that I am being punitive by taking it with me, I just don’t want to have to shell out £500-£600 to have one fitted at the new place when I have already paid to have this one fitted here. I have already discussed it with the buyer of our property, and they’re fine with me taking it. When/if they buy an eligible car, they can have a new one fitted for ~£100 as I did.

So, the installation of the EV Chargepoint was notifiable work, (I think as it created a new circuit from the fuseboard?), if it is removed again is this also notifiable?

Cheers

So, revisiting this thread after quite a while and it seemed to descend into a debate about the pros and cons of the EV charger grant etc.
As currently configured it does seem to have some significant pros'n'cons...

To those making out that I am being punitive by taking it with me
I don't think anybody has.

I just don’t want to have to shell out £500-£600 to have one fitted at the new place when I have already paid to have this one fitted here.
That's understandable. But what is the value of the hardware compared to the removal and installation costs?

I have already discussed it with the buyer of our property, and they’re fine with me taking it.
In that case carry on.

When/if they buy an eligible car, they can have a new one fitted for ~£100 as I did.
IIRC earlier discussion here indicated that that might not be the case, but if they are happy with you taking it then there's no more to be said, just as if a buyer consents to anything being removed by the seller when they leave. Legally, if a buyer was happy for you to remove the roof tiles before you left then that's between you and them.

So, the installation of the EV Chargepoint was notifiable work, (I think as it created a new circuit from the fuseboard?),
It's the new circuit which made it notifiable, not the nature of the device.

Re-installation in your new house will be notifiable if you need a new circuit or if you move to Wales. If neither of those apply you may install it yourself if you wish, but I would caution that you need to learn about and consider your supply earthing type if you are going to DIY.

I suggest you read this, as it appears that not all electricians really understand the issues.

if it is removed again is this also notifiable?
Not in Durham.

To those making out that I am being punitive by taking it with me, I just don’t want to have to shell out £500-£600 to have one fitted at the new place when I have already paid to have this one fitted here. I have already discussed it with the buyer of our property, and they’re fine with me taking it. When/if they buy an eligible car, they can have a new one fitted for ~£100 as I did.

So, the installation of the EV Chargepoint was notifiable work, (I think as it created a new circuit from the fuseboard?), if it is removed again is this also notifiable?

Cheers

to be fair by covering other issues not directly within your question but related to the subject can help many many others who dont have to ask additional questions as its all been covered

Last edited:
BAS - someone mentioned something about not forgetting to take the light bulbs, apologies if I misinterpreted this as suggesting i was being punitive.

So, regarding moving the Chargepoint - I have already sought and obtained permission from OLEV, so this should clear the new owners for obtaining an OLEV grant at this address should they do wish in the future.

So, this is the current setup:

2A052A92-EF47-4D81-A5C3-3E3FF517E4A7.jpeg

If I want to avoid having to buy another charger outright, I have three options as I see it.

a) remove the charger, junction box, all wiring and the 40A mcb from CU. But this will leave a huge hole in wall where cable came through from the CU.

b) unscrew the front of the charger unit, leaving behind the baseplate and fit the following for £80, which is basically a glorified outdoor socket. https://evonestop.co.uk/products/wallpod-ev-ready-3pin-uk-domestic-socket

c) last option would be to remove the charger and surface mounted cabling, and put an outdoor light in place of the junction box. It is at the perfect level as there is another light just around the corner.

E17601EB-211E-43F7-9D04-8EB21E948A4E.jpeg

I value your opinions. Cheers

a) remove the charger, junction box, all wiring and the 40A mcb from CU.
Now that does sound "punitive" - all you want is the charger. It has to be left safe, but that doesn't mean you need to remove the entire circuit.

But this will leave a huge hole in wall where cable came through from the CU.
Huge?

Or about the size of the cable?

Personally I'd put a single-gang Masterseal or Wiska etc junction box there to make the cable end safe and leave the new owners to decide what they want there.

MKK56506W.JPG
WK308W.JPG

Now that does sound "punitive" - all you want is the charger. It has to be left safe, but that doesn't mean you need to remove the entire circuit.

Huge?

Or about the size of the cable?

Personally I'd put a single-gang Masterseal or Wiska etc junction box there to make the cable end safe and leave the new owners to decide what they want there.

MKK56506W.JPG
WK308W.JPG
or remove the ugly armoured cable as well and fit a blanking plug in the existing box.

whssign.gif

I really should have looked at the photos.

Remove the charger and the surface cable feeding it.

Leave the existing high level JB alone, and put a blanking plug in the bottom to keep spiders out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back