Moving electric car chargepoint to new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all.

Moving house soon, and apparently I can't get another OLEV grant for a chargepoint at the new place, so the one I've got will have to come with me.

Can any qualified electrician remove this and reinstall at new place? Or do they need to be specially qualified for this?

It is a 7.2kW Rolec unit.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I suspect that any electrician that is able to work on your property is able to also remove and install a charging point, especially as they would be able to see how it's installed in the first place - then remove and install it in your new house.
Perhaps seek one that has done it before.

What does it actually do apart from be a 32A outlet?

I’m not sure I understand. It is basically a 32a outlet, yes. But it contains the necessary electronics to communicate with whichever electric vehicle is plugged in, and negotiate the current that is delivered. Some cars can only charge at 3.6kW, others the full 7.2kW. But even the 3.6kW outlet is faster than charging using a 13a plug.

Sponsored Links
I’m not sure I understand. It is basically a 32a outlet, yes. But it contains the necessary electronics to communicate with whichever electric vehicle is plugged in, and negotiate the current that is delivered. Some cars can only charge at 3.6kW, others the full 7.2kW. But even the 3.6kW outlet is faster than charging using a 13a plug.
I have no experience of these things but ...

... the 'current delivered' will surely be determined by the vehicle (well, the 'charger', wherever that is). A 230V AC outlet which can provide up to 32A (if that's what it is) is a 230V AC outlet which can provide up to 32A, and it's hard to see that there would be any realistic way in which it could be made to control/limit what current was drawn by the load.

Kind Regards, John

What does it actually do apart from be a 32A outlet?

Not a lot really, considering what they cost, just some safety interlocks that ensure an electric vehicle* is actually attached to the end of the cable and is in "parked" mode before the socket is energised.

* Or at least something pretending to be an EV, there are test devices that will fool the socket into supplying power.

... the 'current delivered' will surely be determined by the vehicle (well, the 'charger', wherever that is). A 230V AC outlet which can provide up to 32A (if that's what it is) is a 230V AC outlet which can provide up to 32A, and it's hard to see that there would be any realistic way in which it could be made to control/limit what current was drawn by the load.
plus_one.gif

I think they also contain a DC sensitive RCD, to provide protection against DC fault currents. Otherwise the circuit supplying the charge points needs a to provide this as required by 722.531.2.101, and such items are hard to obtain (I can't find a wholesaler who lists them) and very expensive.

Last edited:
I’m not sure I understand. It is basically a 32a outlet, yes. But it contains the necessary electronics to communicate with whichever electric vehicle is plugged in, and negotiate the current that is delivered.
As JohnW2 said, it can't really control what is "delivered". I suspect the handshaking is to tell the car what the outlet can deliver, and that the intelligence is all in the vehicle, and the charger in that limits what it draws to match, so that when you top up by plugging into a normal socket in Aunty Mabel's garage it doesn't keep blowing the fuse in the plug.

ATEOTD it's a thing on a wall connected to a 32A circuit, with special earthing considerations. Any electrician should be able to move it.

How much discount t?

The electrician will charge for removal, transport etc
Make sure that the saving is worth it compared to a new unit which may be cheaper now

as an aside
if you are selling the house it is part off the structure so you must tell them it will be removed
indeed it could be a good selling point gaining far more value than it cost to remove and refit

apparently I can't get another OLEV grant for a chargepoint at the new place, so the one I've got will have to come with me.

Out of Interest, why?, I haven't looked through the scheme rules but I would presume that the grant was registered against the address rather than yoruself and or the vehicle? So surely you'd be able to get a new point at an address that never had one, but if you took it with you, the new occupant would not be able to get another as the system says it already has one?

I just had in the back of my mind, something someone had told me in respect of a distant friend of a friend.

(I paraphrase)

$So-and-so was going on about how his parents have had an EV charger installed, even though they dont have an electric car because they thought they might as well as it'll probably make the house a bit more diserable when they come to sell it

How does that work then, not likely to be true at all?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back