Moving master socket improved upload speed by factor of 6!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of I know one should not move the master telephone socket and it is the property of BT Openreach, none the less my grandparents live in the Kent country side and have done for the last few years.

Where they are living now, they have never had very good broadband speed. Typically getting 18Mbps down and 0.6Mbps Up with Sky FTTC.

Until recently the BT master socket has been in the main bedroom at the front of their house with their sky router plugged into an extension socket in the living room what is right at the back of the house.

Their was also several joining connections outside (both on the drop line from the street and the extension to the back of the house) done with cheap plastic connector blocks clearly designed for internal mains wiring, no jelly crimps just cheap brass screw terminals.

Anyhow a couple of weeks ago I ran a new single CAT5e cable from where the existing BT master socket was (replaced with extension socket) to the front room and installed a new master socket along with a NTE5 VDSL2 Broadband filter master socket adapter plate in the living room.

Then used the spare pairs in the CAT5e cable to feed the extension socket in the bedroom where the master socket used to be. Hence;

Before:

From street > Junction box > Junction Box > Master Socket (Bedroom) > Junction Box > Junction Box > Junction Box > Extension socket (Living room)

Now:

From Street > Junction Box > Pass-through using Jelly Crimps behind Extension socket (Bedroom) > Master Socket with Faceplate (Living Room) > Extension Socket (Bedroom)

Any how, after all this work their broadband speeds increased to 24.8Mbps Down and 3.8Mbps Up.

What would have been the biggest factor on improving the speed? The built in NTE5 filter or eliminating most of the unsealed junction boxes outside that were using copper screw terminals?

Regards: Elliott.

Sponsored Links
You didn't say what the old internal cable was?

I doubled the speed at my old house many years ago by bypassing the 'alarm cable' extensions(non twisted pair) that had been put in decades before. I moved the dropwire to another room and put an NTE2000 on. Like you, I changed more than one variable at the same time, so, impossible to know for sure which one made the bigger difference.

Poor joints or crap cable will usually make a bigger difference than a VDSL faceplate, but the VDSL faceplate disconnects any poor internal cable or joints(when you leave the router where the master is), so gives the illusion that it works wonders!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back