Moving socket higher, query over construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single socket that I want to change to a double and raise it higher in line with the other sockets.

The socket is part of the ring circuit and has a spur off to another socket round the corner.

My question is, is it safe to create an additional opening for a double metal backbox?

The house is 1960s and around the lintel there was cracks in the plaster and blown areas which I have broken away with a bolster chisel. This has reavled a timber beam with a steel lintel behind.

Would me chasing out a little higher and create. An opening for a double backbox weaken the area the lintel is resting on? Or is the lintel resting on brickwork behind?

The existing single socket is literally a hole right through that I could stick my hand in. Have added pics so you get the idea.

PcM0HEU.jpg

4pe0oUH.jpg

dabWWjj.jpg

J90Shxk.jpg

CV92KVt.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Pictures not usable as they are all blurred, clicking on them leads to some advert mess.

Copy/paste pictures directly into the thread, or use the Upload button.

Pictures not usable as they are all blurred, clicking on them leads to some advert mess.

Copy/paste pictures directly into the thread, or use the Upload button.

Sorry about that photobucket decided to blur all my shots. Changed to another pic upload provider

It looks like the wall there used to go straight across, then someone did a front extension to give you the bay. The steel is holding up the second floor and I'd guess the wood is some packing used to fill in gaps by the steel and to give the plaster something to stick to.

In which case, the socket might be in the cavity from the original front wall.

Sponsored Links
It looks like the wall there used to go straight across, then someone did a front extension to give you the bay. The steel is holding up the second floor and I'd guess the wood is some packing used to fill in gaps by the steel and to give the plaster something to stick to.

In which case, the socket might be in the cavity from the original front wall.

Thanks that all makes sense although the houses were originally built like this. I'm not sure why! The bay area is single storey, pitched roof. What do you think the steel is sitting on? I'm not great on construction knowledge!

Anyway, I took the bull by the horns earlier and did it, had to extend wiring using crimps then insulation but all finished and ring circuit is working fine. Still needs some multi over the bonding to finish.

5FUCGR9.jpg

Are there posh frontplates to go on those sockets? Hope so cos they look a bit pish otherwise..... and no structural worries from that job, crimps are a slight concern (difficult to do them properly so they actually are maintenance free). Keep these pics somewhere safe, if you get problems down the line you'll know where to look. Next time, use Wagos in a box

Are there posh frontplates to go on those sockets? Hope so cos they look a bit pish otherwise..... and no structural worries from that job, crimps are a slight concern (difficult to do them properly so they actually are maintenance free). Keep these pics somewhere safe, if you get problems down the line you'll know where to look. Next time, use Wagos in a box

Yeah the face-plates clip on after, LAP brushed chrome screwless faceplate. The crimps were very strong, pulled and they were not going anywhere, insulated each butt connector with tape fully, then taped them all together fully. They are off the ground inside the wall and have no bonding on them. Cant see what else I can do there!

Did originally start to use wago's with the wago box but was a nightmare to get the cable in as the spur wasn't long enough, then once I finally did the box wouldn't go in the hole due to the orientation of the cables so I sacked it off!

Cant see what else I can do there!
Technically all cable terminations have to be in an enclosure,a wagobox would do but there are other options. Plastering over terminals is a bit cowboy!:whistle:
If you fancy doing a proper job and you can face the electrical forum on here you could try asking there!:)

Technically all cable terminations have to be in an enclosure,a wagobox would do but there are other options. Plastering over terminals is a bit cowboy!:whistle:
If you fancy doing a proper job and you can face the electrical forum on here you could try asking there!:)

I thought butt crimps were maintenance free with the addition of insulation, or do they need to be in an enclosure too? As mentioned the bonding plaster isn't actually touching the connections, the connections are behind the wall completely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back