Moving Water Meter

J

JonasX

About a year ago a new 25mm plastic mains water pipe was installed in the house. A new stop cock was fitted in the street with a large plastic nut ready for a water meter. The water meter, a 1/2" in-line Sensus, was already fitted in the house. After renovation it was decided to move the water meter to outside in the plastic stop cock. The men who fitted the new mains pipe said all you do is split the water meter from its brass housing and screw it into the plastic stop cock in the street after removing the big plastic nut. They said it was very simple to do.

The problem is how to split the Sensus water meter from its brass housing. There appears no way of splitting it. It turns about a 1/4 of the way and will not pull out. Does anyone know how this water meter is split?

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
The Sensus 620 is available as an in-line or manifold/concentric/co-axial meter.

If it's a manifold/concentric/co-axial meter needs to screw into someting with an 11/2" thread.
Something like this from Plasson:
3510_Picture.jpg

View media item 38229
You say it turns about 90 degrees. that is possibly just the adjustment of the readout. It does not 'pull out', it needs to be unscrewed, probably about half a dozen complete turns.

The Sensus 620 is available as an in-line or manifold/concentric/co-axial meter.

If it's a manifold/concentric/co-axial meter needs to screw into someting with an 11/2" thread.
Something like this from Plasson:
3510_Picture.jpg

View media item 38229
You say it turns about 90 degrees. that is possibly just the adjustment of the readout. It does not 'pull out', it needs to be unscrewed, probably about half a dozen complete turns.

It is an in-line meter. Not co-axial. They have the 620M, which is the meter minus the brass body (as you put the picture above) that screws into the above housing.

Do you screw the meter out of the brass housing? It is all plastic and there are no flats to put a spanner in. I have tried turning it by hand, but there appears to be a lock once it gets so far.

Sponsored Links
If it's an in-line meter you have to undo the 2 connections on the pipe.
You cannot remove the middle bit where the readout is from the housing on its own. The whole thing has to be removed from the pipework in one piece.

If it's an in-line meter you have to undo the 2 connections on the pipe.
You cannot remove the middle bit where the readout is from the housing on its own. The whole thing has to be removed from the pipework in one piece.

The connection of the pipes have been removed. The meter is out and still the plastic upper past of the meter cannot be detached from the brass body, so as to screw into the plastic nut near the road stop cock.. The plastic upper part rotates near 360 degrees, I assume this is to orient the readout for the meter reader. How is it detached from the brass body? Putting a screwdriver in the inlet hole? Or something like that?

2492_product.jpg

The meter on the left is an inline meter.
The meter on the right is a manifold/concentric/co-axial meter.

An inline meter fits into a run of pipe using the connections at each end.
A manifold meter fits into one of the devices I showed above.

The white plastic bits in the above picture are not seperable from the brass bit. Some are able to turn to orientate the readout.

Post a picture of your meter as it is now.

2492_product.jpg

The meter on the left is an inline meter.
The meter on the right is a manifold/concentric/co-axial meter.

An inline meter fits into a run of pipe using the connections at each end.
A manifold meter fits into one of the devices I showed above.

The white plastic bits in the above picture are not seperable from the brass bit. Some are able to turn to orientate the readout.

Post a picture of your meter as it is now.

It is the one on the left, the in-line. You say the innards cannot be taken out the brass casings and screwed into the stop cock in the road. If so you have answered my query.

Maybe iv'e misread the original post but shouldnt your water supplier be doing this and not you? The water meter is property of the water company and should not be tampered with unless anyone would care to enlighten me?

Maybe iv'e misread the original post but shouldnt your water supplier be doing this and not you? The water meter is property of the water company and should not be tampered with unless anyone would care to enlighten me?

Would they take away the old in-line meter and replace it with one in the street stop cock for free?

It is possible to remove the in-line meter and install a new meter in the large plastic nut at the street stop cock. Will they do it for free.

Also, the meter makes a racket when baths are being filled and water is used at a high rate. The noise itself is enough for them to move/replace it for free?

If you've asked them and they told you it's possible, why did you not ask them then if they'd do it for nowt?

A noisy water meter? That's a new one.

I haven't asked them yet. Yes, when the bath is being filled on full belt the water meter in noisy. Is this a faulty water meter?

Is this a faulty water meter?
Almost certainly.

It is possible to remove the in-line meter and install a new meter in the large plastic nut at the street stop cock.
It sounded as though you'd allready asked and been told "It is possible....". That, and the lack of a question mark.

Would they take away the old in-line meter and replace it with one in the street stop cock for free?

Far as im aware yes they would, water companies prefer the meter outside so they can read it easily.

You also didnt answer my question, have you had permission to tamper with the meter?? I would say no as its the property of the water company, only they are allowed to do anything to it, otherwise we could all bypass them and have as much free water as we want! You wouldnt move the gas or electric meter yourself would you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back