Multi tool questions

Please dont tell me that this is another Gillette moment - sell the tool cheap and make your profits on the consumable blades, I thought Bosch were better than that.
I think it may well be. Isn't the Starlock design protected by patent? (a bit like the way Lamello patented the biscuit jointer) In which case the Russian dude and the Chinese copies are breaching the patent and may get prosecuted in due course - although the Russian's approach which requires an Allen key must limit its' appeal when the original Starlock tools are sold, at least in part on the advantages of toolless blade changing

Sponsored Links
Not being a tradesman I wouldnt know in practice how often people who are need to keep changing blades but Ive never found a few turns of an Allen key a burden.

When my old bosch multi cutter stopped working after about 5yrs of a lot of use I immediately bought another, (this is a couple of years ago now) when it came I was annoyed that the new one had the starlock design and I could no longer buy the cheap copies, so I was forced to buy the original bosch blades and it was like chalk and cheese! I had been buying the cheap blades for so long I had forgotten just how much difference in quality there is. As for the old one I took it apart and found one of the wires had come apart so I soldered it back on and it works again!

Last edited:
Not being a tradesman I wouldnt know in practice how often people who are need to keep changing blades but Ive never found a few turns of an Allen key a burden.
I think catlad said it best - the difference in quality and durability between OEM blades from the main players and cheaper Chinese products is huge (but on the flip side then so is the price difference on the surface). Since I bought a Festool multitool last year I've found OEM or equivalent blades to be a better option, although it has taught me to be a lot more careful making my cuts

As to quick change tooling, yes, it does make the job a little easier, if only because that little Allen key is the one accessory guaranteed to go missing early on in the life of a tool. Time wasted searching for and locating that key is most likely why a lot of tradesmen I've talked to prefer tool free change overs. I know I do

Sponsored Links
I guess losing the Allen key is another thing less likely for a DIYer. And anyway a set of them is in my toolbox anyway.

I bought a bench drill recently, so Ive now got a chuck key I musnt lose as a few years ago I threw out a load of them thinking "never gonna need one of them again". :(

I've found OEM or equivalent blades to be a better option, although it has taught me to be a lot more careful making my cuts

I get what you are saying, but surely there must be times when you know that you need to treat the blade as being sacrificial, eg cutting through skirtings/floorboards/etc with hidden nails or screws? In such circumstances, I would rather trash a £2 blade than a £18 "proper" blade.

...surely there must be times when you know that you need to treat the blade as being sacrificial, eg cutting through skirtings/floorboards/etc with hidden nails or screws?
Yes, there are. Fortunately my Vectro (which normally uses Fein Supercut-compatible blades) came with an adaptor to allow the use of "standard" (I.e. old style Fein Multimaster) blades. Part of the reason for getting the Vectro in the first place was the fact that it is pretty powerful whilst the second reason was that you can get longer blades for it. But then I'm trade, and I also have a Makita cordless QR multitool as well which tends to get used a lot more with cheaper "disposable" blades.

Last edited by a moderator:
my Vectro (which normally uses Fein Supercut-compatible blades) came with an adaptor to allow the use of "standard" (I.e. old style Fein Multimaster) blades.

The first time I used my Vectro with the supplied blade I hit a screw cutting out a window sill nosing. That prompted me to purchase the Fein OIS adaptor. The downside is that I can't use the adaptor with the Festo plunge tool.

Well, I bought mine after reading your comments about the Vectro on this site. It has turned out to be a good purchase. Thank you

Funny, I just bought my first multi-tool today. No idea if any good, didn't want to spend much and wanted a small blade for small jobs, so went with this
Wolf Oscillating Multi Tool 260w, 6 Variable Speeds, 11000-22000rpm Combat Power Tool + Accessories

Hopefully it will last long enough to get a few jobs done! Do those fittings look universal though?

You can use standard OIS blades and the newer Starlock blades which are backward compatible. You wont be able use the Starlock plus and max blades though (see https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...hUKEwidvvefqYXtAhWx8IUKHdnrAp4QMygAegUIARC5Ag)

Well, I bought mine after reading your comments about the Vectro on this site. It has turned out to be a good purchase. Thank you

With hindsight I wish I had held off on the plunge attachment, the newer on has a dust extraction port. That said I got a 40% discount on the attachment. I don't use the plunge very often but the depth stop and shoe are useful.

I have the Fien cordless. Its a different quality to the other brands I tested. Vibration dent rattle my bones. Ill be interested in try the the alternative Starlock blades as the Bosch/Fein blades as said are expensive and not that good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back