Multi tool questions

320w corded Makita for me, upgraded from a 250w Bosch last year after the gearbox failed. It has a 3m long cable so nearly as flexible as cordless - I hear these things can eat batteries for fun. The extra power makes it even more useful, eg cutting off 8x2 floor joists where you can't get a jigsaw in, trimming the bottom off an oak door because I couldn't be bothered taking it off.

I think mine is a TM3000, the older model with the allen key tool change (cheaper and takes seconds to do, until you misplace the allen key!).

There are some compatibility charts online for the various blade options, and there are new starlock plus blades to cater for the extra torque of the latest more powerful models.

I find the problem with cheap tools that do 90% of what a good tool does is that you very often find you really need that extra 10%, especially as a diyer where, ironically, you often ask a lot more from your tool than a pro with the right gear - because it's all you've got.

Sponsored Links
Avoid Bosch because they use the "Starlock" system on their blades which limits you to buying Bosch blades which are expensive and not very good.
No it doesn't, have the Bosch and Saxton blades fit along with a few other cheap brands.

No it doesn't, have the Bosch and Saxton blades fit along with a few other cheap brands.
Which Bosch, though? Bosch changed the blue models several years back (we needed a replacement on one project I worked on and a non-Starlock model took some effort to find - ,BTW that was in early 2017)

Even Festool (Vectro) have joined the Starlock group now having previously used the Fein Supercut fitting

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Just got one from ALDI ...3 year warranty , but at that price would bin it if it failed !

Just got one from ALDI ...3 year warranty , but at that price would bin it if it failed !
Assuming bought in store dont miss a trick because they wont be in stock if it fails just get your money back with the recipe
thats assuming as pre on line delivery ??

Had loads in store picked it up on Thursday been in today and had about 15 in ....

Had loads in store picked it up on Thursday been in today and had about 15 in ....
they dont tend to deal with carp products so unusual to fail in the first few months by which time the offer is depleted

Avoid Bosch because they use the "Starlock" system on their blades which limits you to buying Bosch blades which are expensive and not very good.
Ive got a Bosch GOP and have no problems using non-Bosch blades....

As said! the new model uses the starlock system. You cannot now buy a bosch multi tool and buy cheap Chinese blades.

1) I bet you can
2) You wouldnt want to though
3) Loads of people make Starlock compatible blades, you dont have to buy Bosch ones

OK, but who make them other than the firms who make Starlock multi tools (I.e Bosch, Fein and Festool)? Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to get a more specific answer

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I did purchase some copies of the starlock system a few months ago because they were a lot cheaper but they were rubbish and they kept falling out of the tool so I threw them away.

Smart make a limited range of Starlock compatible blades

http://www.intertoolsonline.co.uk/s...tings/44mm-starlock-compatible-bi-metal-blade

Also Shark make starlock, plus and max compatibles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shark-Blad...ds=starlock+plus&qid=1605391730&s=diy&sr=1-97

and some chinese brand (ebay via the states)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Bi-Me...459459?hash=item2620683cc3:g:h5AAAOSwnaJdEpOX

AFAIK, the likes of saxton don't yet but there is some Russian dude selling an OIS adaptor (but you have to use an Allen key)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSCH-FEIN-Festool-STARLOCK-Adapter-to-OIS-/153796340244

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Ok, but who make them other than the firms who make Starlock multi tools (I.e Bosch, Fein and Festool)? Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to get a more specific answer
Well,err...

Starting to look like my bad.

Shark deffo do.

I thought Saxton did, but that was after what looks like a careless search, with hits that were hits because the page said "not compatible with Bosch Starlock".:(

Please dont tell me that this is another Gillette moment - sell the tool cheap and make your profits on the consumable blades, I thought Bosch were better than that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back