Multi tool questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy's. I am looking to buy a multi tool, but don't know where to start. I want one for general diy stuff, as & when required.

My budget is upto £100. I've looked online, but there are dozens of different makes/models etc.

Can people give me pointers on what i should be looking at for my money & any make's/models i should be avoiding. Cheers Doug

Sponsored Links
do you have any cordless tools now at all?
What is it you want to do with the multi-tool
I have the dewalt !8V cordless system, so it was obvious to go with the Dewalt - But I suspect a lot of the main brands would be fine.
Lidl often have these types of tools, although I have not been happy with some of the power tools i purchased , but may have been unlucky, as lots of people here do like the Lidl tools - Parkside.
I do like their handtools and before the lockdowns would often buy parkside items

which ever tool you go for choose the option giving you maximum accessories[pads and blades etc] as these are around £25-40 on there own

Avoid Bosch because they use the "Starlock" system on their blades which limits you to buying Bosch blades which are expensive and not very good.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Saxton, who sell a wide range of replacement blades at attractive prices.

I'd choose a cutter that you can easily buy cheap blades for.

Mine is a Worx and seems fine to me.

if I wanted a really cheap one, I'd probably get one on "special buy" from the middle aisle of mystery in Aldi or Lidl, and a few of their bargain price blade packs.

From a major retailer, you should get a 12 or 24 month guarantee. It needs to be a company that will still be in business in 12 or 24 months....
And preferably has a real-life shop near you.

Lidl often have these types of tools, although I have not been happy with some of the power tools i purchased , but may have been unlucky, as lots of people here do like the Lidl tools - Parkside.

I bought a Lidl mains powered one two or three years ago, just for if and when I might need it. I used it for the first time a couple of months ago, it worked surprisingly well, efficiently and nothing else would have done what I used it for.

Avoid Bosch because they use the "Starlock" system on their blades which limits you to buying Bosch blades which are expensive and not very good.

? o_O

I have a Bosch cordless and a Makita corded and use the same blades on both, including cheap Chinesium blades on occasion.

what i should be looking at for my money

A decent amount of Watts, 300-ish, not the 180w(seems to be a common figure) ones! Einhell make some good stuff for a budget brand, then spend more on good blades.

? o_O

I have a Bosch cordless and a Makita corded and use the same blades on both, including cheap Chinesium blades on occasion
It depends on what colour and when you bought it. AFAIK Bosch transitioned their blue "industry" models over to the Starlock system about 3-1/2 to 4 years ago at about the same time as Fein did. Festool have now joined them as well. Don't know about the Bosch green stuff.

Not so, Fein also use the starlock system. Saxton do the starlock blades

I have not used my mains model for what must be over 12 years. Get a cordless.

I don't find the screw bolt particularly onerous or time consuming, so it would not be a deal breaker above other features or cost.

Have at least two batteries, each of high Ah capacity for long run times. If the batteries can be shared with your other cordless stuff, all the better.

Use quality, and sharp blades. They make a big difference. So a cheap tool with a good blade is better than vice versa.

Likewise, spend more on a range of blades rather than an expensive tool and few blades.

That's it really.

My stepson has the cordless Ryobi. I once tried to use it to cut through his bathroom's chipboard flooring. The battery was about 3 months old. Every 25mm or so the tool would stop. I had to wait a second or two and then it would start again. I gave up and returned the next day with my corded Fein (which cut through the flooring without interruption).

It was the only time I have tried using a cordless Ryobi and it was the harder green chipboard. I personally do not own any Ryobi tools and given my experience, I am unlikely to ever own a cordless Ryobi tool.

I don't have extensive experience of using other brands, I have my own Fein FMM250 and Festool Vecturo, but I have spent quite a bit of time using someone else's Makita TM3000C (which retails at £98 at Toolstation)- he restores sliding sash windows and pushes it quite hard. they normally die after about 11 months, he takes them back, gets a refund and buys another. IMO, they are noisy and vibrate much more than my own oscillating saws. The need to use an allen key isn't too much of an issue given that he only uses one type of blade. I should add that he burnt out a cordless Fein and the loan corded tool that Fein lent him as well.

Have a look at Saxton, who sell a wide range of replacement blades at attractive prices.

I did purchase the Saxton oscillating saw for my stepfather a couple of years ago. It was discounted by them down to about £70. He doesn't use it very often but seems to be happy with it. I think they may have discontinued it though. I do use their blades from time to time though.

Cheers for all the replies guy's, gives me something to work with. Much appreciated. Kind regards Doug

Another vote for Saxton blades, I use them almost exclusively now, for Saws and Multitool, in fact only today ordered some heavy metal blades for the multitool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back