Multiple doorbells - need a bigger transformer!

Sponsored Links
Having been in hospital recently, all I can say is beware females wearing gloves...

:mrgreen:

The first one, I think - not so much for the 'obvious' reasons but, rather, because without additional data, I don't think I would be certain that the second one is female!
#2 doesn't look competent - cables in notches like that.

Still - she's obviously expecting to meet you, John - the gloves, goggles and hard hat are in case you come across her, you filthy brute.

Well, there you go. #2 is Rebecca. That picture came from some stuff that JTL / Amicus pushed out a year or two ago.
Here's another from JTL's current website. Must have lost her screwdriver. Good, innit? :evil:

Sponsored Links
To get back to the point guys.....

I emailed Friedland yesterday (Sun) and came home to find a reply already

"Thank you for your enquiry.

It is possible to get 3-4x D792 (under dome bells) running from one transformer.
We would recommend 12V 2A transformer which will be more then enough on 30m run.

For further advice please call our helpline below."

I've emailed back to ask for confirmation of current draw for each bell as it must be around 0.25A

SB

I emailed Friedland yesterday (Sun) and came home to find a reply already
"It is possible to get 3-4x D792 (under dome bells) running from one transformer. We would recommend 12V 2A transformer which will be more then enough on 30m run."
Glad you got such a rapid response, and one which more-or-less corresponds to what I suggested early on!

I I've emailed back to ask for confirmation of current draw for each bell as it must be around 0.25A
Yes, as I said, it must be below 0.5A, and probably quite a lot less than that. It also makes sense if one does the sums....
I think 'bell wire' is usually 1/0.5mm, sometimes 1/0.6mm or 7/0.2mm. That corresponds to CSAs of around 0.2, 0.28 & 0.22 mm² respectively, hence voltage drops (total of both conductors) of roughly 224, 156 & 200 mV/A/m respectively, hence voltage drops for 0.25A over 30m of about 1.68V, 1.16V & 1.5V respectively - i.e. with a 12V supply, voltages of about 10.32V, 10.84V & 10.5V respectively reaching the bell - which certainly should be fine.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John for confirming that. I do feel like I've gone round in a big circle with this one, BUT thanks to everyone on here, I fell like I've gained some new knowledge

Cheers

SB

Depends what you're actually replying to, but 7812s aren't fond of a.c.
Add a bridge, cap et all too of course.
The problem with your idea is that the high current (hence potentially high voltage drop) loads were were discussing are bells which need AC to work. Your idea would give them a nice regulated DC voltage, but they wouldn't work :)

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back