Multiple "shaver" sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So how many shavers and electric toothbrush chargers does your household have? Mine currently has three. This means I have a four-way extension block with three shaver adapters plugged into it, which strikes me as a little silly! (Before anyone asks, no: it's not in the bathroom.)

While flicking througn MK's Grid Plus catalogue I noticed K4901, a universal socket module. Great! A four-module plate, a fuse carrier and three of those would make a perfect alternative: compact and elegant (and hopefully cost-effective).

Trouble is, nobody seems to sell K4901. Does anyone know how I can buy a few of them, or some alternative from another manufacturer?

Sponsored Links
42946_P

But given that I've pointed out the differences between BS 4573 / IEC 60884-1 shaver plugs and CEE 7/16 Europlugs more than once in the past you'd think I'd have thought of that..... :oops:

Sponsored Links
To answer the OP, places that stock MK (like TLC) claim that they will order in anything in the range. It might be worth asking at least.

I like mk grids but you can see that wont last more than10 mins if used!!
Just buy a normal 2g shaver skt

As this isn't in a bathroom, cut the 2 pin 'shaver' type plugs off, and fit standard 13A ones instead.

I considered the same problem but when I looked into it I found a standard transformer shaver socket was £9:31 from screwfix and the

MK K700from TLC was £19.75 and that did not include VAT.
So to fit them does not really make sense. I went on holiday to Turkey and got a adaptor which does the job nicely.
In the main I use these converters
converters_ECP.gif
converters_pc8338.gif

nonearth_euroconverter_co.gif
SCP3_converter1new.jpg

FCP_a.jpg
9680_co1.jpg

They have been gathered over the years I think

http://www.powerconnections.co.uk/converters.htm
are main people to market them but I have just gathered them from equipment I have changed the plug on.

Some like these are rather dangerous
so one does have to be careful. You need the type with a fuse.
But RS components who are not cheap offer pack of 5 at £1.47 each. also Farnell and many more.
If not using in bathroom why use two pin plug?

As this isn't in a bathroom, cut the 2 pin 'shaver' type plugs off, and fit standard 13A ones instead.
Yes, I've considered that. But:

* They'd then have the wrong plug on when going on holiday or whatever.
* While it would get rid of the proliferation of adapters, it wouldn't make things much more compact.

I've also considered sticking 2A three-pin plugs on them but, bizarrely, the sockets always seem to be on 85mm plates.

I like mk grids but you can see that wont last more than10 mins if used!!
Oh? Why shouldn't it last? I don't see why it would be less robust than any other shaver socket, and I thought the fixing of modules into a grid was pretty solid, too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back