Multiple trailing sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need to wire up four different LED strips at points along a 15m wall. The power socket is about 5m away from the nearest set.
Ideally I wouldn't have four individual extension cables. Is it possible to wire 4 x trailing single sockets along one cable, as per the attached sketch? Or would this risk overloading?
IMG_5869.JPG

Sponsored Links
Yes, that's fine.

It will not get overloaded because:

a. the plug has a fuse, and
b. you would need a huge amount of LEDs to be an overload.

You can do that, just as you can buy strips with multiple socket already on them, but what do you intend to plug into the sockets?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies. I'll get those wired up.
Yes - when you think of it, it's the same circuit as a 4 way extension socket I guess.

Hello,

I need to wire up four different LED strips at points along a 15m wall. The power socket is about 5m away from the nearest set.
Ideally I wouldn't have four individual extension cables. Is it possible to wire 4 x trailing single sockets along one cable, as per the attached sketch? Or would this risk overloading?View attachment 282341
You can buy those ready made .

Overloading isn't a problem here but mechanical considerations are. Any flexes need to be adequately restrained such that disturbances to the flexes do not put stress on the terminations.

Overloading isn't a problem here but mechanical considerations are. Any flexes need to be adequately restrained such that disturbances to the flexes do not put stress on the terminations.

Which might be difficult with two flexes entering three of the sockets.

Exactly.

Normal trailing sockets are designed to accomodate a single flex, I doubt you will get full-sized 1.25mm² or 1.5mm² flexes under the cord grip and through the entry hole, you might get away with using a reduced size flex and a corresponding reduced plug fuse, but I suspect you would struggle even with 0.75mm² flex (it's a shame that flat 3 core flex seems to be unobtainable, it would be very useful here). 0.5mm² might work but that limits you to 3A (which is ok for LEDs but not for much else). If you drill an extra hole in a trailing socket then the extra hole will have no cable restraint.

Another option is to use sockets of the type that would normally be used for fixed installatoin, but these have no built-in cable restraint at all so cable restraint would have to be arranged by other means (perhaps compression glands or if these sockets will be fixed to something cable clips). Also plastic accessories tend to be made of Urea-Formaldehyde which, while having a number of desirable properties for fixed accessories has poor impact resistance.

Yet another option is to seperate the splits form the sockets, inline T joints for flex are sold intended for use with outdoor lighting, they are a little on the pricey side though.

Yes getting the flex into the sockets might be a major problem, I hadn't considered that.
It looks like it might have to be four individual extensions with single sockets after all.
It needs to be safe and also look reasonably good, as it's in a gallery and the cables and sockets will be visible.
Many thanks for your help.

Why do you want each LED strip to have its own PSU?

You used to be able to buy a plug with four cable outlets13amp plugs (1).jpg top left in the pic from which you could have run four separate leads but I think your best bet might be plug to double extension socket with PSU and the next plug to double ext socket , then repeat as necessary . Will be safe as the first fuse will protect everything downstream.

I think your best bet might be plug to double extension socket with PSU and the next plug to double ext socket , then repeat as necessary
Not exactly best practice to daisy chain extensions, but it's a workable solution :)
Will be safe as the first fuse will protect everything downstream.
If the OP was to daisy chain, I think it may be prudent to PAT between the last socket in the chain and the plug to check that the earth bond resistance is sufficiently low.
The LED PSU are most likely to be DI, but who knows what people may inadvertently plug/unplug in a gallery :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back