Mushrooms

Hermes sat up in his hospital bed. "Before I go, Hermetta, I must confess to you. I have not been faithful. I have had affairs with...."

"Hush, my dear" said his wife. "I know all about it. Why else do you think I poisoned you?"

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
That's what my Auntie Maisie says. She tells me the assistant manager in her local co-op is a really horrible young man, she doesn't like going in there any more, sends in the lad instead.
:LOL: :LOL: :cool:

JohnD said:
Hermes sat up in his hospital bed. "Before I go, Hermetta, I must confess to you. I have not been faithful. I have had affairs with...."

"Hush, my dear" said his wife. "I know all about it. Why else do you think I poisoned you?"

JohnD how did you discover my secret? Has your wife been talking in her sleep? :D

Sponsored Links
'Twas a noise indicative of John's bravery in such a suggestion!

Most mushrooms are easily identifiable as OK/OK in certain circumstances/Not OK.

Those that are hard to tell, leave alone, unless you are a real expert.

Don't rely on books to become that much of an expert - find someone who is to teach you, or move to France where every pharmacy will analyse your finds for you.

It is the big red ones with the white dots on that are posionous,uumm or are they white with red dots :confused:

Well I tried a couple of Marasmius oreades fried in butter this morning. They were really nice and so far no ill effects!

There aren't many that will actually kill you, the most likely outcome is either something that doesn't taste of anything / gives bad guts. However, of course it is best to get a book.

The one to look out for is of course the deaths cap mushroom, which is as it's name suggests, highly toxic, fortunately it doesn't look like an edible mushroom in that it's gills are yellowy white, not pink, like a fresh field mushroom, neither do the gills turn brown after they've been picked. Late sept / oct is the best time to look, it is also well worth checking out "local knowledge".

Well - there may be other edible mushrooms with white gills?

And the caps of Amanita phalloides are not always obviously yellow.

And since the symptoms of poisoning are upset stomach the next day, followed by apparent complete recovery, followed by death from irreversable liver damage, it's as well to take care...

why do people on here know so much about mushrooms? as i said previously, all i know is they sell "normal" mushrooms at morrisons. stick 'em in a pan with egg, sausage and bacon.

crafty1289 said:
why do people on here know so much about mushrooms?
Maybe because they are interested in things, and don't limit their eating choices to the mass-produced tasteless commercial pap in the shops?

as i said previously, all i know is they sell "normal" mushrooms at morrisons. stick 'em in a pan with egg, sausage and bacon.
You can't buy the rest in Morrisons though - not if you want British bacon, or sausages made from free-range pork.

Sponsored Links
Back