Mushrooms

crafty1289 said:
why do people on here know so much about mushrooms? as i said previously, all i know is they sell "normal" mushrooms at morrisons. stick 'em in a pan with egg, sausage and bacon.

You haven't got the hang of your computer yet :LOL:

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Well - there may be other edible mushrooms with white gills?

And the caps of Amanita phalloides are not always obviously yellow.

And since the symptoms of poisoning are upset stomach the next day, followed by apparent complete recovery, followed by death from irreversable liver damage, it's as well to take care...

Well this is true, but if you follow the simple advice, if you're not sure, don't eat it, as I say the Deaths cap "Amanita phalloides" is quite different in apperance from the field mushroom.

And yes the difference between a Morrisons, or indeed any other supermarket mushroom, than that you pick from a field is the ones you pick from a field may well taste of something, oh, and they're free.

I've been picking mushrooms for years, not had a bad 'un yet.

its easy just ask the gnome stting on the red ones with white spots if theyre edible :LOL:

Thermo said:
its easy just ask the gnome stting on the red ones with white spots if theyre edible :LOL:

You should never trust a gnome,they tend to be very mischiavious and not adverse to telling a lie or two, especially those little irish ones

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
Well I tried a couple of Marasmius oreades fried in butter this morning. They were really nice and so far no ill effects!

*winces* *flinches* *funny jerk of arm* *partial fast winking of one eye*

Thermo said:

Fly agaric's, part of the Amantia species, not good. Mind you if you mistake one of these for a mushroom you deserve everything you get.

ban-all-sheds said:
You can't buy the rest in Morrisons though - not if you want British bacon, or sausages made from free-range pork.

I am friendly with one of Morrisons own "butchers". the bacon they prepare in store (not the BOGOF stuff) is British, last time he checked. And you can buy farm eggs there too. Sausages - not sure there. But you're right, most of it is mass produced rubbish. I do buy the BOGOF bacon, other stuff is too expensive.

I actually prefer Morrisons own brand sausages - they go nicely with egg in a sandwich, or with a full english. The expensive ones are a bit too fancy, and introduce too many flavours into the full english, or egg sandwich. And i HATE sausages with fatty bits / gristle (expensive ones :confused: )

And i prefer farm / free range / organic eggs - they DO taste better, crack better, and look better, and for what they cost, i dont mind paying the bit extra for them.

OK - I didn't look at the fresh meat counter. Either that or the one in Alnwick doesn't have one.

They had no free-range chicken on the shelves either, and no empty spaces where it should have been.

Morrisons used to be carp for free-range gear, but they are slowly getting better. Our local one has miles upon miles of junk food, frozen muck et al.

They have half an aisle devoted to yorkshire puddings....and those are just the frozen ones.

Judging by the majority of what they sell, they cater for less well-off families who eat high quantities of junk food.

securespark said:
...They have half an aisle devoted to yorkshire puddings....and those are just the frozen ones.

Judging by the majority of what they sell, they cater for less well-off families who eat high quantities of junk food.

more likely, they stock the sort of food that local people like to buy.

Down here it's 40 varieties of Australian White, and colour-co-ordinated sushi. And only two options of brown sauce.

Ye Gods!!!

A Yorkshire firm has penetrated Hampshire.....SHOCK.....

My dear fellow, my sister lives near Petersfield and rarely shops outside Waitrose & Sainsbury's....

Whereabouts is this Wm M. store?

Sometimes I don't tell the whole truth :oops: ... it's Waitrose in my small town. But Morrisons would have to fit in with our quaint Southern ways if they wanted to do business.

I imagine the Penrith Waitrose sells Whippet food and twenty varieties of Black pudding.

I always eat Bury Pudding if I go north of Guildford.

However:

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc
Lakesmere Road
Horndean
Waterlooville
PO8 9FB

Commercial Centre
Portsmouth
PO3 5UH

Bedford Street
Bognor Regis
PO21 1RP

15 Walpole Road
Gosport
PO12 1NQ

I also have to point out that shopping in Morrisons is seen as being a bit ***** down here, similar to Aldi, Lidl's etc. Tesco is just about acceptable, but really it should be Waitrose or M&S. Then again it should also be noted that our local Morrisons is in a pretty ***** town. Did someone say snob ? :D Do tesco still do the option of having your groceries delivered in an unmarked range rover instead of the white van?

I've had so many mushrooms recently, I haven't had much room for anything else.

Sponsored Links
Back