My daily heating routine

Ours is in the lounge. We used to have it in the hall many, many years ago but found that it came on every time the front door was opened so we moved it. You've seen the graph for yesterdays heating. Here’s what it cost:

View attachment 288760

We pay £127 a month for dual fuel and we are currently nearly £400 in credit.

View attachment 288761

Current temp but it will creep up during the evening - too easy to do on the hive app on the iPad or phone - don't even have to get out of the chair!

View attachment 288768
I pay £156 a month for both, currently just over £500 in credit. My bills since June rounded up to nearest £1

Jun 2022£33
Jul 2022£51
Aug 2022£55
Sep 2022£62
Oct 2022£109
Nov 2022£152
Dec 2022£54

Sponsored Links
My gas/electric is likely to be £400 for the next few months.
Was £310 last month, and that was with the heating only on a few hours a day.

Ours is in the lounge. We used to have it in the hall many, many years ago but found that it came on every time the front door was opened so we moved it. You've seen the graph for yesterdays heating. Here’s what it cost:

View attachment 288760

We pay £127 a month for dual fuel and we are currently nearly £400 in credit.

View attachment 288761

Current temp but it will creep up during the evening - too easy to do on the hive app on the iPad or phone - don't even have to get out of the chair!

View attachment 288768

How on earth are you keeping the house at 22 degrees all day at three pound of gas a day?

I know we could insulate more but..

My gas/electric is likely to be £400 for the next few months.
Was £310 last month, and that was with the heating only on a few hours a day.

We pay quarterly and expect the Dec/Jan/Feb quarter to be about 1k

Sponsored Links
I'm keeping my house at 19 downstairs and 14 upstairs. I'm on the capped rate, and right now I know it's costing a lot. More than £13 a day on gas.

How on earth are you keeping the house at 22 degrees all day at three pound of gas a day?

I know we could insulate more but..

Are you on the capped tariff i.e. approx 10p for gas and 34p for electricity? If so, that's remarkable! Especially £3 a day for gas.

Our heating regime:
During the day, the upstairs rads are either off or on very, low. The bathroom rad is on all day. Downstairs, the hall, lounge and kitchen/diner are on all day and the downstairs loo is on low. After we have had our evening meal and move into the lounge, I turn both double rads in the kitchen/diner off. Around 9.30 in the evening I turn our bedroom rad and the upstairs landing rad on and when the heating goes off at 10.00, I boost the heating for 30 mins while I have my shower - I do like a warm bedroom to go into but not to wake up to so I turn that rad off when I go to bed and turn the rad on in the other bedroom on so that it warms up when the heating comes on at 5.30 as Mrs Mottie gets up at 6.00 for work on three days per week and gets dressed and puts her slap on in there. She turns it off when she’s finished. Hot water is on 24/7. I have our 18Kw boiler set to 14kw with a flow temperature of 62° and all our rads except the one in the lounge have TRV's. We have an insulated loft plus that fluffy insulation in the cavity walls.

Our last quarterly was 200 but we have gone onto the new tarrif (10p per kWh gas and 34p elec which has almost tripled our unit costs
We are lucky that we took out a new two year fix in Oct '21 just before the proverbial hit the fan and prices rocketed. We'll certainly notice it when it ends next October!

59BC589E-24B8-4550-917B-F56A367F4388.png

I am hoping for a Xmas card from Putin thanking me for all the money i have sent him this year.
The price of home heating oil is on the rise again, more money on its way east.

Our heating regime:
During the day, the upstairs rads are either off or on very, low. The bathroom rad is on all day. Downstairs, the hall, lounge and kitchen/diner are on all day and the downstairs loo is on low. After we have had our evening meal and move into the lounge, I turn both double rads in the kitchen/diner off. Around 9.30 in the evening I turn our bedroom rad and the upstairs landing rad on and when the heating goes off at 10.00, I boost the heating for 30 mins while I have my shower - I do like a warm bedroom to go into but not to wake up to so I turn that rad off when I go to bed and turn the rad on in the other bedroom on so that it warms up when the heating comes on at 5.30 as Mrs Mottie gets up at 6.00 for work on three days per week and gets dressed and puts her slap on in there. She turns it off when she’s finished. Hot water is on 24/7. I have our 18Kw boiler set to 14kw with a flow temperature of 62° and all our rads except the one in the lounge have TRV's. We have an insulated loft plus that fluffy insulation in the cavity walls.

We are lucky that we took out a new two year fix in Oct '21 just before the proverbial hit the fan and prices rocketed. We'll certainly notice it when it ends next October!

View attachment 288778

AHH that makes sense!

Our old tarrif ended dec 1st and our gas has gone from 3.2p to 10p! It's been a real shock to see how much we are spending

I am hoping for a Xmas card from Putin thanking me for all the money i have sent him this year.
The price of home heating oil is on the rise again, more money on its way east.

As petrol/diesel prices have dropped over the past week I assumed heating fuel also would drop.
We topped up about 6 weeks ago and still got 3/4 tank full, (1800ltrs).
Heating was usually on 2 hrs of morning and 3 hrs evening at 18C with water on demand until 9.30pm from 5.30am
Now that middle son has come to stay to recuperate after major open heart surgery so we are having it on a little warmer, (20.5C) during the day.
Electric is on fixed rate until next October.

Sponsored Links
Back