My daughter got a 1st on her Accounting and Finance degree

This is so common in building works and its horrible to be on the receiving end - once a rip out has been done, it puts the 'extra' into blackmailing territory, because the conversation goes "I'm terribly sorry, but we've underpriced, we can pull out now and leave you with a mess and having to wait for somebody else or pay more to us"

Was it a genuine mistake on their behalf?

My guess is block driveways are about £80 to £100 a sq metre from memory, so you should be able to get a ballpark idea.

I would say it was a non genuine mistake but me and Amanda were at work, kids at home and guys paused on site with a mountain of spoil. I had a row with the boss, got to £500 then felt angry that I’d been soft.

It’s close to 100mtrs and we paid £8000 up from £7500. We were also quoted £5000 and £9000 but 2 others.

I thought it would cost close to 4 in materials so gave the £5000 guy a swerve, the guy we chose at £7500 we had seen his previous work and got his number that way.

Sponsored Links
I would say it was a non genuine mistake but me and Amanda were at work, kids at home and guys paused on site with a mountain of spoil. I had a row with the boss, got to £500 then felt angry that I’d been soft.

It’s close to 100mtrs and we paid £8000 up from £7500. We were also quoted £5000 and £9000 but 2 others.

I thought it would cost close to 4 in materials so gave the £5000 guy a swerve, the guy we chose at £7500 we had seen his previous work and got his number that way.

There is no way he had made a mistake -it was deliberate, he was trying it on. There guys know a fair % of customers will fall for it, so its nice bunce for having the balls to try -even though its totally dishonest and unethical.

What these guys do is underprice the job a bit, so they beat other prices without being too low, in the knowledge that they will win on the customers that pay the extra.

If his price had been £13k, he wouldnt have been in the running.

Anyway, your daughters news eclipses that a million times :D

Sponsored Links
Especially when the architects drawings show the drains going to the front instead of the opposite direction and right beneath your longest rear wall trench...

(Groan!)

relocating that is gonna make an almighty mess of your trench work. You are lucky the bucket didn't wipe it out.

have you ever knocked out any services? -from memory I think out builders took out special insurance for it.

relocating that is gonna make an almighty mess of your trench work. You are lucky the bucket didn't wipe it out.
We knew it was there, hence the spanking new 6" orange pipe and placcy chamber as opposed to rubbish old salt glazed pipe. It was fully boxed in and concreted over. Not a prayer of diverting it as it was on minimum fall in any case.

We knew it was there, hence the spanking new 6" orange pipe and placcy chamber as opposed to rubbish old salt glazed pipe. It was fully boxed in and concreted over. Not a prayer of diverting it as it was on minimum fall in any case.
Sorry I didn't look at the pi closely.

Jeez that soil is sure red, must be a Staffs thing.

Sponsored Links
Back