My first bathrrom quote!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been working mainly as a subbie for years but witht the current economic climate I am taking on my own work. Done a lot of bathroom refurbs in the past for small builders so advertised for bathrooms, kitchens etc, anything I can't do I will get someone in for.

However, just priced up my first bathroom refurb and the guy has baulked at the price! It's a rental so obviously the guy doesn't want to spend a fortune on the place but I want to make sure my price isn't way off.

The requirements are completely gut bathroom, new suite of shower bath, wc and basin. New rad, tile floor to ceiling and new flooring. The wc is being moved from one side of the room to the other so drainage works needed too and the place will more than likely need a rough plaster to patch up once all the old tiles are off. The room is 2m x 1.9m and I have come in at a few quid under 3K. Does this seem unreasonable to you guys? He seems to think closer to £1500 was more in line with a fair cost! From my calcs that wouldn't even cover materials.

Sponsored Links
Ah well, you win some, you loose some. Welcome to the world of businesses

The requirements are completely gut bathroom, new suite of shower bath, wc and basin. New rad, tile floor to ceiling and new flooring. The wc is being moved from one side of the room to the other so drainage works needed too and the place will more than likely need a rough plaster to patch up once all the old tiles are off. The room is 2m x 1.9m and I have come in at a few quid under 3K. Does this seem unreasonable to you guys? He seems to think closer to £1500 was more in line with a fair cost! From my calcs that wouldn't even cover materials.

i tell customers of mine, when quoting for building a bedroom + en-suite extension, that the en-suite would cost a minimum of £3000 to furnish.

£3000 is very tight in your case.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I wasn't being over the top. Just found out a mate of mine has got to quote for him next week which should be interesting as he normally subs his bathrooms out to me :)

And remember ... those that try and squese your quote like an orange, are normally the same people who will nit pick the work afterwards and try and get the price down even further

YEap Woody: one of the reasons you should sometimes just 'sack' clients ;)

theres a fine art to do quotes yourself. its called confidence!

If youve worked out the price and your happy with what you have priced then stand by it. Its easy to worry about the first quotes you do and you get turned down.

as woody says, its always the jobs you try and do a little cheaper because of fear of no work, that go wrong or the customer turns into a nightmare.

£1500 would be a straight swap of only the fittings, using B&Q cheap carp :eek:

Don't forget to mention to him that as the WC is being moved to a new position, it has to be notified under a competent persons scheme.

Never under sell yourself.

Charge YOUR rate then sell yourself to the customer that you are worth it ;)

sell yourself to the customer that you are worth it ;)

this statement is important.

you may quote a job and your price turns out the same or similar to the others.

so, you have to sell your self......... :idea:

...... :idea: we pride ourselves in not running more than one job at a time as this can dilute your efforts.

none of us smoke.

we make our own tea.

no radio.

we clean up at the end of every day.

we do not receive a penny (in wages) till b.c have passed our work.

Who needs customers like that? I've done work for people like that, and they'll have you jumping through hoops and will treat you like sh*t.
I think your your price is pretty good. Steer well clear of people like that, and if he calls back , tell him your busy, or,up the price.

good luck

Sponsored Links
Back