My gas & electric costs....reasonable ?

Sponsored Links
Were you hit by the recent tariff charges ending? All the 2/3 year deals just ended.

Something definitely wrong, I pay less than half that and work a lot from home, so the heating is on during the day, as well as lights etc.

Slightly bigger property, though I don't have teenagers yet.

I have replaced all bulbs with energy efficient ones, but you'll struggle to get the old style bulbs now anyway.

Have you got a modern boiler?

G

Something definitely wrong, I pay less than half that and work a lot from home, so the heating is on during the day, as well as lights etc.

Slightly bigger property, though I don't have teenagers yet.

I have replaced all bulbs with energy efficient ones, but you'll struggle to get the old style bulbs now anyway.

Have you got a modern boiler?

G

Boiler is 15 years old. Constantly switches on and off. Have only a few (3) energy saving lamps.

Sponsored Links
have your payments gone up
are your bills based on actual meter readings
what where your payments a year and 2 years ago

3Bed Mid Terrace, 3 adults, 2 small children.
Usual appliances, fridge, freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer, 3 x 32" TV's, 2 fixed DVD players, 1 x portable DVD player, kettle, microwave, 2 x PC's and peripherals, (printers scanners etc), Gas C/H, Gas Cooking and then the little things like phone chargers etc
£98.00 Combined costs and was in credit by a couple of quid on both services after winter. Yes, yours is high even for London.
Check your loft for any stray cables going through the wall to next door for the cannabis farm!

have your payments gone up
are your bills based on actual meter readings
what where your payments a year and 2 years ago

Our bills for gas and leccy have always been this high for as long as I remember, taking price increased into account of course.

What recommendations with regards to the central heating and hot water programs do you suggest. Hot water I think I could work out but I'm not sure as to how long the boiler would take to heat up a tank full and how long that water stays hot for. Any ideas?

For a start get a price comparison or are you tied into an existing one?

Trial and error, see how long a tank takes to heat. How quick it is emptied.
Same for heating timers, how long are they on for? They do not have to be on whilst you are in bed.

For a start get a price comparison or are you tied into an existing one?

Trial and error, see how long a tank takes to heat. How quick it is emptied.
Same for heating timers, how long are they on for? They do not have to be on whilst you are in bed.

According to uSwitch we're on the lowest available dual fuel deal so that's that. No tie in as we're passed contract stage.

As per rads, the only two that are always on irrespective of programmer settings are the bathroom and downstairs loo. All 3 beds have the valve shut off pretty much 99% of the year. Downstairs we have an open plan living room with two rads which, at the moment, are on. The dining room, last room in the house is on occasionally.

can you give us an idea how your energy is split gas to electricity as we have no idea which element is the biggest problem
do you have your energy tariff and supplier [ edf on line energy 17 for example]
your anual gas in kw and electric kw [peak and off peak if applicable]

then we have something to work with

As I said try adjusting the temps and times.
Watch the meter for a week at a time.
Get an energy meter for the electricity, you will be surprised at what you find.
Get LED/Low energy bulbs everywhere.

Beat the teenagers, then they will always feel warm ;)

But your spend is damn high.

And as above ides on energy splits and usage.

I had a new boiler fitted a couple years ago, with modern controls you can set the water to heat up at time times you use it.

I reckon my gas bill went down by about 40%.

Also look at insulation, is your loft fully insulated?

You can fit draft excluders, as well.

My house ins't double glazed, though I do have thermal blackout curtains.

Does your bill give a breakdown as to the spend of gas versus electricity?

I've assumed it's the gas part that's the high part, if it's the electricity look maybe changing the bulbs and what is left on standaby, and the energy rating of your appliances.

If you have gas central heating the first thing to do is turn your burner down.
You should have a rotary dial somewhere that adjust the size of the flame on full heat. Try that at half way.
There is no point all your hot water being so hot it scalds you coming out of the taps and then adding cold to it to cool it down to wash or bathe ,or the central heating being so hot you have to keep turning the thermostats down.

Second thing timings.

My hot water is only programmed to come on once a day
The central heating twice - once for an hour early in the morning so you don't get up to a cold house and then on an evening 4pm - 10.30pm.
During the day wear clothes or a dressing gown at night you will likely be tucked up in bed by 10.30 even if not to sleep to watch tv.

Sponsored Links
Back