My new thermostat is rubbish..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a boiler fitted in March and the plumber fitted me a new room thermostat, its an ESI esrtp4rf, and its bloody rubbish, its supposed to have all that singing and dancing technology that keeps the heating at the right temperature, but i noticed that if i set the temp at 20c, then it doesn't click off till it gets to 21c, and then it doesnt click back on until it goes down to 19.5c. So what is the point in that? if i set the temp to 20c, i expect it to stop at 20c, not go up and down?
I called their help line, and basically he told me thats how it operates, thats how it designed, but he told me i could change the settings a little, so that it will click off at 20.5c instead of 21c, so he talked me through it and helped me change it, but that is still a fluctuation between 19.5c and 20.5c, i told him the thermostat was rubbish and i have much better ones in previous properties, and if i had set it to 20c then it would stop at that all day long.
Thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
I am a little confused by your anger. Surely it is not good for your boiler to keep going on and off with the tiniest of fluctuations. The way it works sounds perfect to me and is what I would expect :cautious:

I am a little confused by your anger. Surely it is not good for your boiler to keep going on and off with the tiniest of fluctuations. The way it works sounds perfect to me and is what I would expect :cautious:
hmmm, that is one point of view, i didnt think i was asking too much though, i am just comparing it to thermostats what i have had in the past

Sponsored Links
I thought I had a problem when I had a new room thermostat fitted. It was a Honeywell DT90E. It was switching off before it got to the set temperature. When I phoned them they said it was normal to do that. Reason being, if I had it set at 23 and it got to 23 and then switched off, the heat still coming out of the rad would allow the room to get hotter. What it does is it gets to 1.5 degrees before the set temperature, switches the boiler off, waits a few minutes, switches on again until 1 degree below temp, switches off, repeats at .5 degrees and then when it reaches the temperature, it switches the boiler on for one or two minutes every ten minutes or so to maintain the room temperature within .5 of a degree at all times. Supposed to be more efficient and it makes sense - to me anyway! I like it. Only drawback is it can take longer for a cold room to get up to temperature but once it is, it maintains it nicely. Obviously, make sure your room stat is fitted in the right position so that its not affected by other heat sources - drafts, radiators, sunlight, TV's, lamps etc.

I thought I had a problem when I had a new room thermostat fitted. It was a Honeywell DT90E. It was switching off before it got to the set temperature. When I phoned them they said it was normal to do that. Reason being, if I had it set at 23 and it got to 23 and then switched off, the heat still coming out of the rad would allow the room to get hotter. What it does is it gets to 1.5 degrees before the set temperature, switches the boiler off, waits a few minutes, switches on again until 1 degree below temp, switches off, repeats at .5 degrees and then when it reaches the temperature, it switches the boiler on for one or two minutes every ten minutes or so to maintain the room temperature within .5 of a degree at all times. I like it. Obviously, make sure your room stat is fitted in the right position so that its not affected by other heat sources - drafts, radiators, sunlight, TV's, lamps etc.
That sounds ideal, if I set mine at 20, it can switch off and then rise to 21 or even 21.5 then not come back on until it goes down to 19...bloody rubbish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back