My vote for worst refurbishment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My entry in a new category

Did a visual inspection today on a house sold subject to contract.

I've done a few of these for an estate agent and there are always minor things, but rarely anything too serious.

When I walked into this one it had clearly been recently refurbished, so I thought it would be an easy one - oh how wrong can you be....

Among the highlights:

very inaccessible consumer unit in under worktop cupboard - with back of cupboard covering meter tails and fuse cutout.

Old Consumer unit left in place, with no RCD protection.

2.5mm spur covering socket for cooker/hob ignition, one socket above worktop and washing machine socket under worktop, all protected by a 40A MCB - the cable leaving the CU is 6mm, and no sign of the join, but I'd bet money there is no fusing down.

Dessicated mouse skeleton inside consumer unit!

poor positioning and quantity of sockets because they carefully replaced all the existing ones to try (I assume) to get round Part P

No obvious main earth bonding (one possibly 6mm to a water pipe poorly connected and covered in paint)

No earth on any light circuits - plastic lightfittings and switches, but metal back boxes and metal screws in use

Still need to check this one - but standard fan isolation switch 85cm from Zone 1 - pretty sure thats not suitable IP rating... (EDIT: ok I will let them off on this one, they are just into Zone 3 - but I bet that was luck not judgement!)

And thats before I get to the poor finish around sockets and light switches, the big hump in the laminate floor where they didn't leave enough expansion at the edge, the dodgy looking toilet connection in the bathroom....

Still, I think my report will give the purchaser some serious bargaining power

:LOL:

More pictures in my album if anyone wants to see them

Sponsored Links
Surely the free desicated mouse will add value despite all the abortive work they have carried out ;)

I put tiles like those up for a mate of mine, he insisted on having them behind the hob as well, despite my advice, they are now nicely heat marked!!!

That looks like a cutout / meter I found a while back.

IMGP0636.jpg

Idiots :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back