Neatening up underside of winder stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a double winder staircase that has its underside plastered around the lower half. Its not done very neatly, where it meets the wall is pretty wavy and random, and the curve is irregular and has grooves all over it.
What can I do as a novice? Can easifill help me here? Because thats the only plastering I’ve ever done. Will it be difficult to get smoother lines where it meets the walls?

Attachments

• 33679D9F-1FE3-4531-9203-35E5EECAC382.jpeg
    33679D9F-1FE3-4531-9203-35E5EECAC382.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 584B8BA0-8E5F-472E-AE88-F15E146A5F18.jpeg
    584B8BA0-8E5F-472E-AE88-F15E146A5F18.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links
Thats pretty bad its hard to work out what shape it should be from the photos if it was me trying to put that right i would shave the high spots off and reshape it with maybe a bit of bonding and a bit of skim not sure about easifill all depends what shape your going for looks like its one of those jobs where you shape one part and it makes another part look out of whack, i would maybe start against the wall right hand side take that out till its a straight line and matches up with the left side and start from there

Thats pretty bad its hard to work out what shape it should be from the photos if it was me trying to put that right i would shave the high spots off and reshape it with maybe a bit of bonding and a bit of skim not sure about easifill all depends what shape your going for looks like its one of those jobs where you shape one part and it makes another part look out of whack, i would maybe start against the wall right hand side take that out till its a straight line and matches up with the left side and start from there
This is where one of my plastic trowels would come in handy lol

I’m not sure what shape a stair winder is supposed to be to be honest…where can I find a diagram or something?! And how much plaster can I add before it comes crashing down?

Sponsored Links

Attachments

• 3804F8BC-429E-43CD-982D-5714BA8934BA.jpeg
    3804F8BC-429E-43CD-982D-5714BA8934BA.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 112
  • B1C2B18E-32E2-4529-B5D2-53074952757F.jpeg
    B1C2B18E-32E2-4529-B5D2-53074952757F.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 116
  • C5C04D1C-B014-4E1A-881F-928A49CACFC9.jpeg
    C5C04D1C-B014-4E1A-881F-928A49CACFC9.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 793B5354-3D13-4142-84A5-8A42BEFC6E74.jpeg
    793B5354-3D13-4142-84A5-8A42BEFC6E74.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 98
If its plasterboard your going to have a job getting it to look right you may be able to get rid of a few bumps but at the end of the day its down to bad boarding and bad plastering where the plaster is following the board

Last edited:
If its plasterboatd your going to have a job getting it to look right you may be able to get rid of a few bumps but at the end of the day its down to bad boarding and bad plastering where the plaster is following the board
The 45degree pb is just at the top and bottom. The messy curving bit I’m guessing is some kind of plaster on mesh. Its too wavy to be plasterboard. How would I go about reshaping it?

depends whether you want an angular finish or just keep it rounded . either way it’ll be labour intensive and messy.
I’d probably sand some of the paint back with 40 grit to give it a key and trowel some toupret over it and sand it back .

This is why i asked you what its made of i would start where the wall meets the ceiling on the right hand side i would shave that off if possible to level it out and get a straight line and work from there sanding and applying till it looks right you also have if gods was a plasterer option one thing for sure is high spots have to come off and shaped before anything is added

This is why i asked you what its made of i would start where the wall meets the ceiling on the right hand side i would shave that off if possible to level it out and get a straight line and work from there sanding and applying till it looks right you also have if gods was a plasterer option one thing for sure is high spots have to come off and shaped before anything is added
Whats the best way to shave off high spots?

depends whether you want an angular finish or just keep it rounded . either way it’ll be labour intensive and messy.
I’d probably sand some of the paint back with 40 grit to give it a key and trowel some toupret over it and sand it back .
How thick can i load toupret on safely? And could I use easifill? I have a big bag

toupret I suppose 3-4mm .
can’t comment on easy fill. never used it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back