Need a time delay circuit for my float switch and 12v pump?

what diagram, i've been runing around this thread for 4 days now looking for such a piture
Have you actually read this: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1138110#1138110 ?

How many times to you have to be given that link again before you do actually read the post?

Yes I’m sorry ban-all-sheds but I did not understand what you wear talking about before when you mentioned single DPs and latching contactors
And the KISS thingy sounds a bit off if you know what I mean

Sponsored Links
KISS = Keep It Simple Somehow ( Or Keep It Simple Stupid if appropriate ).

But sometimes keeping it too simple means fault conditions are not considered and then failure of a 50p diode causes £50 worth of damage and costs £500 ( or more ) in loss of productive time.

Relying on a diode in this circuit is not good practise.

Why? What is wrong with relying on a diode? If they are correctly specified and not subject to mis-use a diode is very reliable.

As you say " if correctly specified ". All too often the only specifications considered are the maximum reverse voltage that the diode will have to block and the current the diode can carry. Works for most things but not all.

In this application it looks like 12 volts is the highest voltage but in fact there will be the back EMF's from coils and the pump applied to the diode.

Sponsored Links
Yep, hence the reason for adding a diode reversed across the coil, if the motor needs it then add one across that however it isn't the norm as would cause problems reversing it.
It seems odd to me that if it is such a bad design that the manufacturer would supply a schematic diagram incuding the same concept.

It didn't appear to bad to me, came across as a good concept. A diode is cheaper than a second relay, a single relay and diode is cheaper than a double poled relay yep, but why not?

It seems to have been wired with auto-electrical parts. And the little square relays used come with loads of configurations and I have been caught out with them in the past. Some come with back EMF protection built in. And some if required it needs to be added.

If we were using relays normally used in panel wiring then the diode is normally a add on which fits in the relay base.

It does seem to be rather cheap in design but when I looked for purpose built relays only 24 volt versions were available.

But to use a relay with at least two sets of contacts would have been the norm and to move away from the normal method is asking for problems when it comes to maintenance.

HI

Did you ever solve the problem because i would be interested to see what your solution was.

I am in the process of testing my idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back