Need schooling changing fuse , as upstairs lights won't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
firstly hello and thanks in advance ...also hope you had a good Christmas and will have a smashing new year

now lets talk brass tacks:

upstairs lights are not working , but sockets are .....

i have 'ATTACKED' the fuse the box as a first inquiry and found this to be the issue

i switched over fuses for downstairs to upstairs lights ( same amp ) and all lights came on ...

i need some tutelage , in regards to to why my fuse is not working , as it has no fuse in it , from what i can see ........ ( see pics )

PB260111_zps2038d357.jpg

PB260114_zpsa308d57d.jpg

PB260115_zps3038f448.jpg

the fuse box is in a house i don't use , my house i live in ... i usually just pull the casing down and there is a fuse in it , then i just replace it ...... as you can see from this one ..... it has no fuse anywhere .... is the the whole unit the fuse ?

the brown bit on the fuse , is like porcelain...with a hollow hole .... and two little screws fixing it the base unit ....

do i just replace the whole unit ?

my fuse box ( sorry i don't have the picture ) is a memera bs 5486 pt 13

by the looks of it , it probably is an antique , and not like those i have seen in previous houses

so in summary ..... do i replace the unit? as when switching pully out things with downstairs and upstairs all worked fine

or is there an actual fuse someone within the main fuse box ?

i would also just out of pure curiosity like to know who this unit works

like i said int he opening thanking you in advance

stevearno

Sponsored Links
That is a rewireable fuse.

You need some 5 amp fuse wire.

You need to loosen (but not remove) the two screws and remove any bits of old fuse wire.

Then thread a piece of new fuse wire through the ceramic tube, and wrap it round each screw once, and tighten up the screws.

Be careful not to make the fuse wire too tight or it may break when you tighten the screws up.

Remove any excess fuse wire which may be sticking out from under the screws, and that's your fuse all fixed.

When you have done, you will probably find that one of the upstairs lights does not work.
That is because the bulb has blown. That will be what scrogged your fuse. So you'll need a new lamp in that fitting.

thanks guys ..... for the quick and easy explanation

Taylortwocities... a blown light in the upstairs ... will it just be the bulb in the ceiling that needs to be replaced ?
the lights that have been knocked out , are just the ceiling and wall lights ..that don't have fuses

NOT the sockets

again thanks guys

stevearno

Sponsored Links
yup just the bulb, one of them just won't work when you turn it on and the others upstairs work

That is because the bulb has blown. That will be what scrogged your fuse.
One heck of a surge from a failing lamp to take out a rewireable.

Steve - how much lighting do you have on that circuit, and how much of it was on when the fuse blew?

One heck of a surge from a failing lamp to take out a rewireable. Steve - how much lighting do you have on that circuit, and how much of it was on when the fuse blew?
True, but I've known it to happen (invariably at switch-on) in the good-old days of lighting circuits loaded to the teeth with incandescents - particularly if many (including the about-to-die one) were switched on simultaneously with a single switch.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back