Sadly, whatever Catherine does, anywhere on the spectrum from polite requests through legal action to unilateral removal of her neighbours property, a dispute will arise where the only "winner" will be the party who gives less of a <whatever> than the other.

Sponsored Links
Looking at your 'photos I see there is a boundary marker in the ground underneath the fence, the white concrete kerb strip. The fence appears to be directly above that with the 'good' side facing you - in my book that means it's your neighbours fence.
The water coming off the roof is shortening the life of the facing boarding.

The owner of the fence has the option of having the fair side/ good side facing them or their neighbour. Usually the choice will be fair side on your own side.

Rather involving cost and solicitors, I would suggest a first step would be a letter written by the OP, pointing out the law on drainage and giving him 7 days to respond in writing promising to give you a date by which the issue will be resolved. You do not need to explain your concerns beyond the legal one of his property draining onto your land. Keep a copy of your letter.

Then, if he ignores that, get a solicitor involved.

Which law gives her the right to damage her neighbours property like that?

Sponsored Links
So as I said, whatever she does shell end up in a dispute where the biggest #(5*%&O@ will come out on top.

And I dont think thats her.

:(

The bloke is bang out of order doing that, totally ignorant. He is pouring something in the region of 8 ton of water every year onto her property, that is totally unacceptable.

@CatherineT1992 have you tried your local council ? tell them it is endangering you and your child.

The bloke is bang out of order doing that, totally ignorant. He is pouring something in the region of 8 ton of water every year onto her property, that is totally unacceptable.

@CatherineT1992 have you tried your local council ? tell them it is endangering you and your child.
Agree that its out of order, but its not really endangering her child and using that argument when its not true just switches people off.

If the neighbour won't talk to the OP, i would write a polite letter explaining why the OP objects to what's been done, clearly explain the rectification required, and ask for it to be dealt with amicably to avoid legal action.

If they still won't talk about it, then a solicitors letter and the threat of genuine legal action might be required. If that still doesn't work, i'd cut back the overhanging roof sheets and put up a section of guttering to direct the water back into their garden.

Agree that its out of order, but its not really endangering her child and using that argument when its not true just switches people off.

If the neighbour won't talk to the OP, i would write a polite letter explaining why the OP objects to what's been done, clearly explain the rectification required, and ask for it to be dealt with amicably to avoid legal action.

If they still won't talk about it, then a solicitors letter and the threat of genuine legal action might be required. If that still doesn't work, i'd cut back the overhanging roof sheets and put up a section of guttering to direct the water back into their garden.
I would just be using that line with the local council. It would save the OP at lot of time money and grief if she could get some over pedantic nobber from the council on her side. They may not be interested but it is worth a phone call just in case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back