Neighbour stealing my electricity - advice

Good advice from Alarm. Especially if the DNO fit the check meter as they will have to then explain why their two meters disagree with each other.

Stupid advice from GayOwl as two wrongs do not make a right and you would be guilty of causing criminal damage with intent. Very easy to prove in court that you were guilty and you would be convicted. It might also lead the disreputable builders to take revenge on you.

Sponsored Links
Good advice from Alarm. Especially if the DNO fit the check meter as they will have to then explain why their two meters disagree with each other.
Yup, but even if it stops the OP having to pay for stolen electricity after a point in time EDF won't reimburse him for prior - he'll still need to take civil action against the builder.

The DNO are only responsible up the the exit point which is the service head, if it has not been tampered with at that point, they will not be interested.

The Meter operator and supplier are only interested up to the exit point of the meter or isolator if fitted, if there is tampering or extraction after that point, they will not be interested as it is not there equipment and not their responsibility.

If you have clear evidence that theft is taking place, contact the Police, if you get a bad response from them,

1) Make a complaint to the Police complaints commision.
2) Contact the local newspapers and explain the situation to them, they would love to get their teeth into a story where the Police have failed a law abiding citizen.

One other option is to complain to the DNO citing that the electrical installation has been made unsafe and may cause damage to their network, in contravention of the ESQCR. This is a risky situation as they may cut you off as well until you can prove the electrical installation is safe.

Thanks for all the advice, NG have now quoted me to get the supply re-routed - £2,500.... but just one last stab at an alternative solution, I thought I saw a suggestion for a similar problem on one of these forums where someone recommended something like a smart meter or something where you are committed to the supplier for a period of time. This might be possible to fit inside my property further up the supply. NG have said I have a "soft lateral" into my property which needs to be replaced before they move meter and will kindly take £2,500 off me for the pleasure. Also floor boards have to come up etc. Anyone have any info on such alternatives? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
thanks Yorkspark, yes contacted the police but they were not interested. next step i guess would be to make a formal complaint to the police but quite frankly i just want to get the supply sorted before i loose the will to live. same developer has kicked my car doors also, these guys are low life scum bags, also have a similar issue with gas supply. c.a.b also pretty lame when i contacted them. nice to know all my had earned taxes go to a good cause though.

Get a solicitor to write a letter to the Police explaining that complaint will be made to the Complaints commission in 1 week if action is not taken.

Costs £25.00, a bit better than £2500.00.

You may also get the satisfaction of seeing him led away in cuff's.

If this was happening to me there would not be a cat in hells chance I'd be shelling out £2500.

I agree with some of the other comments that if it's after the meter the suppliers aren't interested.

Half the time if it's before the meter the suppliers aren't interested.

A check meter wouldn't work as this would only check the usage from the original meter which would be correct as it would take into account both what you and the builders are using.
I know this because it's what I do.

IMO your only option is lawfully as somebody is stealing something from you.

Again as suggested I'd go and see a solicitor or CAB and ask their advice and also the likely hood of the builders paying for an equipment resitting as part of the compensation.

Is it likely that the tapping into your electrical is just a 'temporary' measure until all the development is complete?

Are you likely to be harassed like this after the building work is completed?

thanks Yorkspark, yes contacted the police but they were not interested.
Write to the Police authority, your councillor, your MP, and local media to let them know that you told the police that you'd been the victim of a crime and had suffered financial loss but they weren't interested.

next step i guess would be to make a formal complaint to the police but quite frankly i just want to get the supply sorted before i loose the will to live.
And, sadly, that's what they are banking on.

same developer has kicked my car doors also,
Can you prove that?

nice to know all my had earned taxes go to a good cause though.
You could always withhold a % from your council taxes on the grounds that they aren't providing you with policing.

You'll never get to keep it, but again it'll be bad publicity for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back