nelson mandela

/.. Used to be called "the breadbasket" of South Africa. Look at it now. The natives have no idea how to farm. Mugabe gave all of the farms to his cronies and they've run them into the bloody ground.

Methinks that you are in danger of supporting Ian Smith's assumption:
"Smith and his supporters continued to defend their actions, however, by claiming that the Rhodesian majority was far too inexperienced at the time to effectively manage a developed nation"
This was suggested as a way to maintain and safeguard the privileges of an entrenched colonial elite at the expense of the impoverished African community.

And we now know that that attitude propelled (South) Rhodesia into a near civil war. The guerella warfare almost crippled the Rhodesian economy in the 70's.
Because the defence spending of Ian Smith's government increased to nearly 50% of its GDP during the 'civil' war the new government of Zimbabwe was left with a $500 million national debt.

It may have been the breadbasket prior to the '60's. After the 60's and Ian Smith's UDI it was crippled by economic sanctions (and political and military sanctions). Although SA was a major trading partner, SA was also becoming crippled by sanctions. Although, to be fair, it was more the cultural and political sanctions that brought SA to its senses.

The world was vehemently against apartheid!

It seems that some have not yet woken up to that fact!

Rhodesia managed its economy by the near slavery of its indigenous people (about 92% of the population). Thus its labour costs were unsustainably low. Added to that, only a fraction of the "white" social budget (Education, Health, etc) was spent on 92% of the population. So the majority of the people were unable to feed or clothe themselves properly. (There was a positive policy of under-educating the indigenous population in an attempt to prevent their awareness)
Hence the ability of Rhodesia to export so much of its produce.

Bear in mind that South Rhodesia had about a 7% white population, SA had about 16% white population. (including South and North Rhodesia/Zambia and Nyasaland it comes down to 4% white and 96% black, coloured, Indian.)

Put that into context of the Sunni V Shia muslim conflict in Iraq where Shia muslims are about 60% and Sunni muslims are about 40%. Then cast your mind back to the propoganda by the western countries about the unfairness of the minority ruling the majority.

Again, to be fair, the British Governement insisted on majority rule (as one condition of several) for Rhodesia to become independent. Hence Ian Smith's unilateral declaration.

So next time you wish to compare one situation with another, at least consider most of the influences, not just the ones that suit your conclusion.

BTW, I'm no fan of Mugabe and his violent and corrupt practices. But in the context of their struggle for majority rule, it's easy to see how the hot-headed, impatient, discontented factions of the political parties gain support and rise to power.
Perhaps this is more of the fault of the minority rulers trying to cling to power instead of organising a timely and gradual transfer of government.

Sponsored Links
Ahh Zimbabwe.. Used to be called "the breadbasket" of South Africa. Look at it now. The natives have no idea how to farm. Mugabe gave all of the farms to his cronies and they've run them into the bloody ground. ;) ;)

My late father-in-law would have agreed with that. He was and RQMS and served for a time in West Africa. He always said that native Africans were inherently 'bloody lazy'.

I tend to agree. Yes, I know there are occasional droughts, but much of Africa contains very fertile land and ought to be capable of producing more food than they need. When we visited Kenya years ago I remember seeing from a distance areas of crops such as coffee, although I understand these were owned and run by large organisations. The lodges where we stayed were full of exotic plants and flowers, all very well tended. I don't know what things are like now, though.

I was going to say what right does any white man have to be in SA other than they and their forefathers invaded it. But then every culture and creed has invaded us in return, so I guess what goes around comes around.

And as for racial tensions, you don't have to look far back at white verses white persecution to make apartheid look like a pub brawl. Is it too soon to mention the wars... :rolleyes:

Ahh Zimbabwe.. Used to be called "the breadbasket" of South Africa. Look at it now. The natives have no idea how to farm. Mugabe gave all of the farms to his cronies and they've run them into the bloody ground. ;) ;)

My late father-in-law would have agreed with that. He was and RQMS and served for a time in West Africa. He always said that native Africans were inherently 'bloody lazy'.

Rather rude to go into someone else's country and then lambast the local population for not conforming to your own imported culture.
Perhaps they weren't incentivised? It's hot in Africa, what idiot would bust their nuts to earn a paltry wage, for the benefit of the 'white invader'

Sponsored Links
thought the thread was on Nelson Mandela. in my opinion the world would be a sadder place without him. call me a pessimist but I believe there are more bad people then good in the world so it a tragedy when a good soul especially one who did so much dies. :cry:

Rather rude to go into someone else's country and then lambast the local population for not conforming to your own imported culture.

Newham, Tower Hamletts and Harrow spring to mind :LOL:

Chinese have pumped a great deal of money into zimbabwe , they have to import alot of there own chinese labour to get the job done ;)

All African states have at least one thing in common all the governments are corrupt , to get any where bribes have to be paid

since mandella who have you had in power , couple of fruit cakes IMHO

one who stated that beetroot juice was a cure for aids & another that was charged or suspected of rape ;) none of em could run a p*** up in brewery.

All the vultures will be circling around the mandella name/ legacy in order to feather there own finacial nest

may be ? allegedly ?

Sponsored Links
Back