Nest wiring to Glowworm 24C in place of old thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have just moved into house which has the original 1980's thermostat on the wall. It is very worn and old, we are decorating and would like to replace this, hopefully with a Nest unit.

The boiler we have is an old Glowworm Betacom 24c, installed in the loft. It is in very good, like new condition amazingly.
Before I bought a Nest of some sort, probably the Nest E I wanted to work out how to fit it.

I have installed a Hive on a previous house boiler system with no issues but this is just proving a little odd.

On the back of the Thermostat (Satchwell 2251) we have just two wires, a black and a red, no others at all.
In the boiler front panel we have a two way terminal connect for the thermostat, which just has the two cable attached.
On the main board I am not able to see any other connections to use for the install.

Now in the manual it does talk a little about the thermostat connector and changing from 24v to 240v but does not explain much else.

From what I understand the Nest E is a simple install and does not have a control box as such so I was hoping this would be fairly easy. Also our boiler is a combi so no real need for hot water control so the Nest E should be fine.

I wonder if any of your helpful people might be able to help with how to wire this up. Is two cables from the thermostat enough for the Nest E? I cant seem to work out if either of the wires are a 'C' Wire.

Any help you can give I would be very grateful for :)

Link to boiler manual thermostat wire page -
https://library.plumbase.co.uk/flipbooks/RE/gwb24c_20347_t/mobile/index.html#p=37

Sponsored Links
Buy the Nest E, the two wires on your existing thermostat go to C&NO on the Nest E doesnt matter which way round it is just a switch, then you are all done

Buy the Nest E, the two wires on your existing thermostat go to C&NO on the Nest E doesnt matter which way round it is just a switch, then you are all done

Thank you for your help. I did think this, but it seemed just too simple! I shall go for the Nest E and give it a go. Thank you again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back