Net nanny at work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Net nanny-type programs are being used by more and more companies now. There is a very good reason for this, a surprising number of people do actually view p**n on their work computers. :eek:

My uncle who is a director of one of Canada's foremost civil engineering companies told me about how even after installing such software, they had to send out a company-wide memo reminding people that it was NOT possible to view such sites on their work computers now... and people STILL tried! :LOL:

I understand why they do this. The viewing of such material is offensive to some (and some material is offensive to all ;) ), not to mention highly inappropriate in the workplace. Whilst you should be free to do it in your own home, I think people should be able to go to work without someone viewing this stuff at the next desk. I have even known a couple of people who got fired over this sort of thing. :eek:

However, I have noticed that the software we use has blocked more and more sites, so now it is not possible to view (even at lunchtime):

1) Web-based e-mail (now means I have to use my work e-mail to sign up to any work-related sites and thus get spam at work from time to time)

2) ANYTHING regarding computer games, even "cell processor" (a google search returns a "page blocked" notice)

3) Anything humourous (even clean jokes!)

4) Almost all "hey, go to this site and try this java gadget out" links in e-mails.

So, are my experiences similar to others'?

Is this level of restricition prevalent amongst multi-nationals, and do those in all sizes of companies find this?

Sponsored Links
If my boss banned me from viewing naked laydees, I would walk out... ;)

My company seems fairly relaxed about websites, but they recently introduced an email checking program that prevents emails containing 'profanities' from being sent outside the company.

I fell foul of this when replying to a message from someone who had included an abbreviation of the term With Out Prejudice.

BTW, I heard of one Senior Manager who not only looked at p*rn on his work computer, but stored and catalogued it. It was discovered when he handed in his PC for an upgrade - he was asked to leave the firm.

Sponsored Links
Back