neutrals in CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Playing about with my practice board and got my self thinking about neutral setups.

Is it better to take the neutral to the neutral bar and feed off that or can you take it from the out going terminal of the main switch.

Also could you convert a split load in to a single RCD board by linking the two neutral bars, would that be OK?

done a little piccy to explain myself

View media item 20620

Sponsored Links
the neutral to the neutral bar and feed off that or can you take it from the out going terminal of the main switch.

Of course it's better to use the neutral bar. You wouldn't be able to get all your neutrals into the single terminal on the main isolator anyway - certainly not securely.

Also could you convert a split load in to a single RCD board by linking the two neutral bars, would that be OK?

If you really wanted to...

However, neither of your pictures make ANY sense at all.

Sponsored Links
Hi.
You must consider isolation here. :eek:
C/U's have pre-made leads 'crimped' in order to work correctly that fit into Mainswitches/RCD's with a 25mm capacity.
Throw a few rcbo's and a circuit that doesn't need RCD protection into the equation too ?
Keep at it, it will be worth it ;) .

Regards
ED

:oops: Yes, best get the books out again.

From Hager technical in response to a question about converting dual RCD to 'high integrity':

"An extra neutral link can be supplied from the load side of the
main switch to feed the extra bar or as you say run the existing neutrals
from this bar to the supply side of each RCCB.
There is no preferred way as long as each section has it's own
neutral terminal bar. "

There may be some occasions where one RCD could be suitable/compliant, as long as studentspark knows these rare situations, and that generally at least two RCDs are most common in domestic at the moment.

This is my thinking

Split load board, some circuits RCD protected some not.
Link out the neutral bar so all circuits RCD protected. Not an ideal situation but is it better to be RCD protected or not?

This is my thinking

Split load board, some circuits RCD protected some not.
Link out the neutral bar so all circuits RCD protected. Not an ideal situation but is it better to be RCD protected or not?

I'd sooner add RCBO's to the non RCD protected side, depending on what the circuits were supplying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back