New 20 MPH Limit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7046200.stm

This is long overdue and I hope they bring it in. There is no no need for drivers to go at 30 -40 MPH (and more) where there are people and especially children.

I live in a quiet drive and the idiots that speed down the rd relly annoy me with their stupid fancy BMWs with a loud exhaust! :evil:

Bring it on and lets have speed cameras in every St :evil:

Sponsored Links
just another money making scheme..

I say put railings up along every single road and add more crossings..
if you're a pedestrian, stay on the sodding path, that's what it's there for..
cross at designated crossings not from between parked cars and not 30yards down the road from a crossing.. ( walk to the crossing you lazy gits.. )

if you're in the road when you shouldn't be then it's your own fault if you get run over..
teach the kiddies the green cross code better and make them take a test in school so they can get a pedestrian license.. that you have to re-take when you're 10, 13, 15, 18 and then every 5 years..

absolute crap. the idiots will still be idiots even if you reduce the speed to walking pace.
the only reason for these sort of measures is to screw you and me out of yet more money!
yes short 20 mph sections around schools and public buildings are a good idea, but town wide ones will create rat runs and impatience as people become frustrated at not being able to go about there business.

How about having a person walk along in front of each vehicle waving a red flag?

Did someone say they tried that one over a hundred years ago??

Oh well! Back to the drawing board/think tank.

Sponsored Links
About 3 months ago, a young girl was knocked down just outside a local primary school. Parents were immediately up in arms, calling for a zebra crossing, lollipop man/woman.
There's an underpass not 25yds away from the school entrance. !!
But parents came out with excuse after excuse why they don't use it. Gangs of teenagers hang around there at night? Drug dealers use the underpass in the evening to conduct their business ? One even said it's more dangerous than crossing the road ?
Turns out the girl had ran out between 2 parked cars. (her own fault?)
The main problem at this school is the amount of parents who insist on dropping their kids off and pick them up again in the afternoon in the family hatchback. They can't be ar**d to walk the half mile to the school.
Whilst I think a 20mph limit around schools is a good idea, and should be taken up nationally, I do believe that the problems associated with parents insisting on using the family car to take and pick up their offspring from schools needs addressing.
Having said all this, there are roads where the 30mph limit is absolutely stupid.
Here in Derby, we have some classic examples. Wide roads with wide grass verges and railings up to protect pedestrians have 30mph limits, when 40mph would be safe.
It's not the drivers that need educating about road safety, It's the bloody pedestrians.

as well as the 20mph speed limit, I think all cars should have about 1ft thick bubble wrap all around the car. Anyone walking within 1/2 mile of any road should wear a special suit covered in flashing warning lights

just another money making scheme..
If you don't speed ,you don't pay! ;)

I say put railings up along every single road and add more crossings..

How much would that cost? :eek:

What concerns me is the young racers in their fancy cars that have to show off by roaring down the road. How about 1000 cc limit for under 25s?

Road safety will benefit all of the population of this country.

I think there's a strong case for banning 4x4 cars from towns and other built-up areas.

If you live in the country and it's "essential" for your way of life, then by all means. But park and ride when you get close to towns and cities.

This is long overdue and I hope they bring it in. There is no no need for drivers to go at 30 -40 MPH (and more)

:evil:
There is in Eastbourne :rolleyes: Place is full of Arrogant Taxi and Bus drivers - They are worse than the boy racers - It`s only the Old folks and me that observe the limits:cool:

20mph speed limits is just not the answer. Firstly, it's draconian measures to solve a small (but admittedly painful) problem. If you want to reduce more deaths, ban alcohol, or dangerous dogs etc. I think we should have sensible speed limits, so 20mph on the road a school is on is fine, but up the limit to 40 or 50 where there are fewer people, and put in railings, what a good shout that is.

At the minute it feels like just take take take from the authorities... we need a bit giving back... after all, we can buy cars that can easilly do 60mph in 2nd gear... and 140mph tops... we train drivers to use them, but rarely train pedestrians....

Why not build some bespoke tracks around the country like the Nordschleife, where the public can legally go and burn some rubber... seems a no brainer to me!

All cars should be limited to 70mph. And the performance/engine size should be restricted.

I think there's a strong case for banning 4x4 cars from towns and other built-up areas.

If you live in the country and it's "essential" for your way of life, then by all means. But park and ride when you get close to towns and cities.

and what do you say to the theory that 4x4's v's a pedestrian is actually better than a normal car v's a pedestrian?

All cars should be limited to 70mph. And the performance/engine size should be restricted.

unlikely and probably unenforceable. lets also not forget you can't grasp the idea of a car speedometer being out of calibration and the need for a 10% buffer.

It`s only the Old folks and me that observe the limits:cool:

i disagree.

i find "old folks" to be the ones that drive at 40mph everywhere regardless of the limit. they not only break the 30mph limit.

They also antagonise the ones wishing to meet the limit on an A road.

Sponsored Links
Back